_________________________
We abandoned the sandbox over the weekend and instead went trail riding & camping in southern Indiana. A few of my Indiana friends were there. (and Hamptons former pasture pals. He very clearly remembered JJ and there was a relapse of his annoying bromance).
Good enough excuse for me to go!
We rode out Sunday evening for a little over an hour. I would classify these trails as fun, but not for the chicken. There were certainly some steep hills and rocky terrain. There were times when I was really nervous that Hampton may fall down on me again, but it became clear that he has really grown up in a year. The boy has started to really THINK about where to put his feet. By the end of the ride I was riding on the buckle and totally trusting him to get us down (or up) the hills.
| Are we lost? |
| Union break. |
Monday morning we rode out to a treehouse. Hampton stood trying to untie himself and get into trouble mostly obedient while I climbed to the top. Sorry but I don't get to climb treehouses very often. :)
| In the tree house with former barn owners from Indiana |
| I love reading people's scribbles! Although one person had wrote "I love Justin Bieber." ... Gross. |
| the tree house |
| view from the tree house |
| Camp |
Despite the 90 degree weather, both the horse and I held up really well. I made sure to pump us both full of electrolytes and Hampton was really awesome about drinking whenever we came across a creek. The trails were mostly shade and I did do the pinch-test frequently to make sure he was staying hydrated. There was really only one time that he started blowing pretty hard because of the hills. He will probably be somewhat muscle sore so he'll get a couple of days off. The hills were no joke, even for a somewhat fit dressssaaaaage pony like the Hamper.
| The Evil Loudly-Tweeting Bird |
At one point we came upon the above bird. This little bastard DID NOT MOVE. I thought for sure he would fly away. Nope. He stood there even as Hampton almost touched him nose to nose! And this bird was not just tweet tweeting away, he was all puffed like like "TWEEEEEEEET!!!!" and standing his ground! I was laughing hysterically. Anyone know what kind of bird this is?
I had never been to this place before to ride. It's FREE (perfect for cheapskates like me!), plus there are stalls for your horse, picket lines, camper hookups, a couple of arenas, roundpens. Just a really nice place to camp and ride. There were some drunk rednecks hillbillies hicks cowboys? on the other side of the property. One offered me a beer - then called me sweetcheeks - but I decided to go ahead and decline that offer. Ew. But mostly they stayed away from our camp.
| This guy lives on the property I think. He is abut 70% wolf. |
| I got up at 5:30 am to watch the sun rise and check on the horses. |
| Camp firrrrrrre. (Use a Nelly accent) |
| Some of the farm property |
| More of the main property |
![]() |
| the old crew. |
Monday morning I was out riding a little early and came upon a group of teenagers taking a jumping lesson in the arena. Hampton and I watched for a bit, both of us secretly wanting to join in on the fun. Eventually the instructor took pity on us and invited us in!! The lesson had already worked up to jumping 2 verticals in a line. (about 2'3"). The kids in the lesson were making it an awkward 3 strides (these were, uh, beginners who maybe should not have been jumping but ... not my problem. Not a single one had any sort of solid lower leg. It was actually sort of frightening), but Hamps and I marched in there and cruised through in a solid 2 strides. I only went down the line maybe 4 or 5 times and only 1 time we hit an awkward distance. No biggie. Mostly he made me look good. Like maybe we knew what we were doing? I actually have no issue staying back with my upper body when I jump in my dressage saddle. Weird.
| Weeee blurry. |
| You suck, iPhone |
| Some of the wider trails. I guess some people bring mules and carts and drive these. |
| This view was GORGEOUS. |
| Yes. This exists. |
One of the trails we took on Sunday led us out to what I can only describe as fodder for a horror movie. Some guy has built himself a bunker, you know, for when the world ends. There was so much random and creepy stuff in this part of the woods. His little compound was even creepier. It looked like a scene out of "Wrong Turn." However when I spotted the above van, I had to appreciate the awesomeness.
:)
:)
I spent the drive home blasting country music (and some Paula Abdul in there. Whatevs! I still love "Rush Rush" and "Straight Up." Don't judge me!!!!). A damn good weekend. Except when I realized I forgot to turn in my time card at work. So after I dropped Hamps off, I had to go into the office (after camping and riding in 90+ degree weather). My gut was hanging out because I had just downed 44 ounces of Dr. Pepper. I looked like hell on wheels. Filthy, dehydrated, exhausted. In gym shorts and cowboy boots and a tank top. Keep it classy! Thank God I was wearing a hat. Helmet hair + humidy + my own genetics = hair that would survive a nuclear holocaust.
Back to dressage this week! I'm also checking out another barn and instructor on Friday.
Back to dressage this week! I'm also checking out another barn and instructor on Friday.
And also, Amos Lee, I love you.


Your bird is a killdeer mama, defending her nest. They will not back down from ANYTHING when they are brooding. Not even a 3/4 ton truck. Sometimes they will try to lure you away with their "ooooo, I have a broken wing, come eat me" dance, but only when the eggs can be left safely.
ReplyDeleteUnfortunately, they are markedly poor at critical thinking and think that gravel is a perfect camouflage for their eggs (well, it is) and so they often put their little ground nests on gravel roads. Whenever I find a nest, I try to flag it so it doesn't get trampled, but the batty little things need to make better choices!
What an awesome weekend! I would have wilted in the heat much faster than my horse, I'm sure, but it all sounds fantastic-even the hillbillys:) What a great young horse you have!
ReplyDeleteWhat a crazy bird. Glad Solo's mom could identify it for you.
ReplyDeleteahhhh Bree beat me to it about the killdeer. I have one that insists on putting her nest in the pasture and her and I have a good old time doing that dance she mentioned when I am riding out there. She is not happy about me riding around her eggs. They do make very poor choices.
ReplyDeleteYour camping trip sounds lovely. I am glad you guys managed to stay cool and hydrated. We go on a camping trip next weekend to Brown County, IN