Sunday, June 3, 2012

If it makes you happier

I changed Hampton's dressage bridle. I switched him to my "fancy schmancy" brown bridle with tons of padding and a crank noseband (I like them because they are padded). I also switched him over to an eggbut french link, instead of his fat loose ring french link.

The difference. Oh my god.

He takes contact. NO fussing around with his poll. Supple, easy to ride. Quiet with his mouth, soft in the jaw (lots of slobber). I really didn't think I'd feel much of a difference, but there it is people. I mean he was a solid 2nd level horse today. And I'm not delusional. All lateral work - easy. Counter canter serpentine, mediums, 10m circles - easy. Walk - canter -walk like he does it in his sleep. He was going so well I thought do I: 1) quit for the day and reward him or 2) push the envelope. I chose door #2 and ended up baby half-passing from the center line to the rail. !!!!! I love days like this!

We also did the below exercise. Counter canter down the long side. Walk, true canter around the short side. Rinse, repeat. You are supposed to do more transitions than that but I thought I'd keep it easy. A real test of obedience, and a building block for introducing flying changes.



This week I have a lot of stuff to do to get ready for dressage camp. I clipped up the beast today and still have to clean my tack and clean out my very stinky trailer. SOMEONE left a gross, sweaty saddlepad in my dressing room and now is reeks. :)

We leave Thursday for Lafayette! I should also probably pack a bag for myself and find a place to sleep for those 4 days.

And also, WHO are these friggin adorable boys? Check them out nailing this Guster cover, "Happier." Not sure you can get any cuter. They make the band look bad!

2 comments:

  1. It is such a nice feeling when you change something - and it works!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great response to the new bridle and bit. Wow. He's doing so well. You should be very proud of both of you.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for Porkin' and Choppin' with us!