Sunday, June 17, 2012

A bit about ass-kissing.


Photo by my friend Sarah Yawata
Hampton and I took another dressage lesson from yet another new instructor on Saturday.

It was with a person I have heard both very negative, neutral and positive things about. So, as you all know my only rule is that no harm is done to Hampton. Other than that, I will give people a shot. Worst case scenerio is that I waste my money.

You know, this particular lady wasn't THAT bad. We had a nice, solid lesson on the basics which is EXACTLY the ride Hampton needed after camp and after this week of schooling cross crountry and a few rides of working out the kinks. The ride lead canter issue is gone. No trace of it at all.

We worked on right bend and really getting him into the outside rein. We showed off our leg yields and lengthenings and ended the lesson working on trot-canter transitions as a thunderstorm rolled through. We were both soaked at the end but a really nice, connected ride. She was encouraging of both of us and said we should go out at First Level this year. So it was nice to get that "permission" per se.

I feel like I have done nothing but bitch lately on this blog but the amount of ass-kissing in this industry (maybe it's just Kentucky but I doubt it) is really, really annoying. Several times over the day I heard from fellow riders:

"How did you like your lesson? Isn't she WOOONNNNDERFUL?"

"So did you learn anything new?"

"She is the best trainer evar! I wuv her!"

... well, no. Frankly I thought she was average, a tad disrepsectful (when I said "hello, good morning" to her she didn't bother to even look me in the eye) and while I didn't learn anything new, it WAS a good lesson and my horse and I were working really well. Do we have similar rides that happen without someone standing in the middle basically watching us? Yes.

But no, she isn't the best thing since sliced bread. I'm sorry but when I fork out money to you, you better teach me something. Why should I be kissing your ass? I am paying YOU my hard earned money! YOU should be kissing mine! Why do people constantly kiss their instructor's butt? I mean seriously?

So overall the lesson was really good for Hampton. He felt wonderful. He will now get a day or 2 off and then the chiro comes on Thursday. He needs it for sure.

 I am starting to plan out a few shows. I have my eye on two rated shows, one in August and one in September. My goal is to get my first two scores for my USDF bronze medal. I am still debating on whether or not I want to try and qualify for regionals. I am not sure I'll have the money to go SHOULD we happen to qualify.

So, again I am sorry for the amount of bitching on this blog lately. :) Hamps has been so wonderful and it's just the instructor hunt that has me a little peeved. But it's really not a big deal. We are still making progress and having fun. And that's all that counts.

And as far as the barn hunt does, we are staying put for now. The farm is perfectly fine and I'm just going to have to be sure to always have my cell phone close by when I'm out in the boondocks tacking up. Things may change in the winter. We shall see.

6 comments:

  1. Just because she didn't work for you doesn't mean she won't work for anyone.

    That said, I am amazed what some people put up with in the name of sport. We have a local trainer who may teach perfectly good lessons for all I know, but when she goes to shows, spends the entire time SCREAMING at her clientele. Not my cup of tea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too don't get the ass-kissing thing. I can think of a number of people, including a couple of bloggers, who sing the praises of every professional they use, every time they mention them. Why? So that we all know what good horse owners they are? Does it help them rationalise spending $$$ on their horses? Are they trying to find favour with their instructor? I find the gushing embarrassing and a bit awkward. (And no, it's not the same thing as a giving a recommendation or review.)

    Okay, rant over :).

    ReplyDelete
  3. What is the harm in trying to qualify? If you do - great! You will have that option.

    If you don't, oh well - there is always next year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love hearing you talk about this. I feel much the same way... and the more someone gets their ass kissed, the less likely they are to WORK HARD to earn it. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have to find what works for you - I agree if you don't feel you learned anthing new, no light bulb moments - time to move on.

    And bitch away...it's your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Agreed! Hard earned money doesn't go wasted to someone who can't communicate politely. I'm not into a screaming, sarcastic trainer like all the ones in my past, I've finally found one who is sweet, funny and encouraging!!! Worth every $.
    I'm not paying for a 'friend' or 'self esteem'-I'm paying to get help and learn something. PERIOD.
    Hamps looks gorgeous in that picture :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for Porkin' and Choppin' with us!