Friday, May 11, 2012

All I wanna do baby zoom zoom

Our jumping lesson this morning was ....

A BLAST!!!!

Hamps is one game little poneh. He LOVES the jumping thing and is so clever and smart. And he takes care of me when I screw up. Bless his little heart! (Said in a Kentucky accent).

We started out trotting into a a little one-stride. EB (our instructor) watched us go through a couple of times and said "Uh, you've done a lot of flat work with him, haven't you?"


Why yes!


Guess what?! We have graduated from crossrails! :)

We moved on jump the once-stride, to a 6-stride bending line to a triple bar ... to a scary, horse-eating rolltop. He did stop once at the rolltop, but we went over after that. I mean, it is different looking and also yellow and green. We had a few "creative" jumps over the rolltop, but our last time over was beautiful. At least he was going over!

We continued to add more jumps onto our little course. After the rolltop, we swung around to a 2-stride (planks and a stone wall), then a white gate and then a green and white oxer. Hamps jumped around like a little pro. We have had one flying lead change (on accident). He has never offered up lead changes before, even when careening around jump courses totally off balance.

I was reasonably good with my upper body. There were a few times when I did revert back to my habit of whipping my body forward at his neck. Ugh. I figured out WHY I do this. 1) Part nerves/fear of getting left behind. 2) I do when my lower leg isn't on/solid.

If I kick or squeeze at the base of the fence, my upper body stays quiet and still. I just have make this a habit.

I did enjoy EB's lesson and I think I'll keep riding with her for jumping. She's going to take a little group of us across the road to school cross country soon (the stable across the street has their own cross country course. Bitches.). I stayed to watch her teach a dressage lesson, however, and I wasn't all that impressed. She is a great person and a good rider, but the lesson I was watching was basically a game of Simon Says. You know those instructors, "Walk. Ok trot ..... nice. ..... ..... ..... (silence)."

I need you to be demanding of me! Tell me what I suck at. Give me exercises to improve me and my horse. Make us both sweat and work for it! That is just what I learn best from.

***

I also met the resident GORGEOUS farm boy today on my way back to Hampton's field. I know, I know ... how UN-DQ of me - flirting with "the help." For Shame!! But let me tell you if you saw this boy you would bat your eyelashes at him too. His name is Tommy and he might be the hottest farm boy I have ever met. And I have met a lot of hot farm boys. (ok this is starting to sound bad ... )

Before I really embarass myself, I should stop writing.

Off to Lexington tomorrow to watch Amy and Steady! Pics to follow!

(If I get brave, I will stalk Tommy and post pics for you to enjoy)

3 comments:

  1. I used to duck with my upper body a lot because I was trying to generate momentum with my seat (instead of leg) and that put me behind the motion so I would fling myself forward to catch up.

    Not saying it doesn't happen anymore, but getting the horse forward from my leg is super helpful.

    Looking forward to pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like and awesome lesson and good pony!!

    LOL love the cute "farm boy"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw, look at Hampton jumping big boy jumps! Hooray! I'll be looking forward to those pictures:)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for Porkin' and Choppin' with us!