I was very worried about finding an instructor who both Hamps and I click with here in Kentuckeh.
I think I may have already found one ... in the form of James Houston. Honestly, I had never heard of the guy until Kelly from Dressage Pony contacted me about participating in one of his clinics. Having participated in numerous clinics with a variety of names, I went in with an open mind and an eagerness to learn. I know that everyone will tell you something a little different, and that is OK. It's finding a system that works and sticking with it. What got me so frustrated with T-Bone (my Morgan), was trying to attend way too many clinics, which left me confused and annoyed.
Anyway, I found Houston to be just a delight. He brought us down to basics and we SO SO SO needed it. Hampton, while very well behaved, was tense and locked in his back and jaw. This has been going on for a while, and I blamed in on the spring stupids. Kelly and Houston were able to pick up right away that it was a physical issue.
Hamps has been uncomfortable for a while now because his jaw was displaced, and he was also out in his back/butt. *FACEDESK* ... Why I didn't pick up on this I don't know. Maybe because I trusted the professionals I was working with. THEY said he was ok, that these were training issues, or my issues, and so proceed.
I have to say that I LOVE the people I worked with in Indiana. BUT ... the caliber of horse professionals in Kentucky is a different league. That much I have found in less than a week living here.
What infuriates me is that I have spent hundreds of dollars and been quite diligent with chiro appointments for Hampton (back in Indiana) because his comfort and health is #1 to me.
Turns out, he has been out of whack for a while. He was adjusted at the clinic (many thanks to the chiro who was so wonderful ... and Kelly for arranging this). And I noticed an immediate difference, not only in his back, but also in his attitude. There was a calmness about him that I had not seen for a while (again, I was blaming his snarky attitude on the spring stupids). I am starting to wonder if that right-hind-hitchyness was due to his butt being out all along?
![]() |
| trying to unlock the back ... |
I rode him again today back at home and he was even better. Far less squirrly in the jaw and his back felt more ... boingy? We are sticking to basics for this month and back to Houston for more homework in May. And by basics, I mean simple circles working on getting that falling-down neck. Asking for softness and inside bend. Changes of direction. Lots of stretching. He needs to rebuild those muscles that he wasn't using before because he was out of whack.
Hampton knows the lateral work. He's a well-trained pony. We don't need to drill anything right now, we need to get a soft neck and quiet mouth. He was great today so I think we'll get somewhere.
:)





That canterwork looks lovely :)
ReplyDeleteSounds really good - getting those physical issues resolved can make a huge difference!
ReplyDeleteyay! sounds like you found a good match!
ReplyDeleteThe pictures look great!
Can I just say how insanely jealous I am that you get to live anywhere near Lexington? Yeah, it's bad.
ReplyDeleteGrudgingly happy for you and the progress you're making. ;-) Ok, very happy, but still jealous.
Congrats on finding a trainer you feel good about, and help for Hampton's hurts too. Sounds like you're settling in well. :)
ReplyDeleteSo unbelievably JEALOUS ;)
ReplyDelete