| He's annoyed that I've tied him up and he can't eat. But LOOK at his weight!! |
The heat has forced me to take it easy with Hampton. (For my sake, I tend to get overheated when summer first starts and I'm not a big fan of passing out on top of a 17.1 hand horse).
We have been diligent in doing our homework - lots of walking, bending, slow trotting, more bending. It now takes less than 5 minutes for him to take a steady connection with me. Before the Houston clinic, it would take 15-20 before we were really warmed up and connected.
Today's ride was extra fabulous. I threw in some shoulder-in and gentle leg yields to see what I had. No problems. After the World's Best Walk-Canter Transition On a Straight Line (I literally squealed with joy), I worked through First-3 canter loop both directions. EASY!!
After that we stretched out and walked back out to the field.
I'm hoping to pop over some jumps this week to reward him. And hopefully trail ride out to the creek and waterfalls. I'd prefer some company since I don't know where I'm going and ... you know, in case something goes wrong.
Speaking of which. GUESS who got himself cast/stuck after rolling too close to the fence today?
| Won't name names, but his initials are HAMPTON. |
a 30+ acre field and you roll into the fence Hampton?
I had just grabbed my leap rope to go rescue him but I stopped and watched him.
Horses who get cast typically do 1 of 2 things.
1) Panic and hurt themselves or break something.
2) Lie there and wait for help.
Hampton didn't panic. And he didn't just lie there. He very methodically scooted his neck and shoulders away from the fence until he was able to pull himself forward and then get his hind legs under him.
It was incredibly intelligent and clever. Not a scratch on him, although I'm going to get the chiro back out here next week as he needs another chiro round anyway. I'm sure this incident didn't help. He seemed fine, though. He got up, turned around, proceeded to buck, and galloped off to his friends.
I'm also starting to scope out a few small, local shows in the area.
And of course more lessons. :)
My goal is to hit up some rated shows this fall and HOPEFULLY get my first 2 scores toward my USDF bronze medal. :)
Kentucky is good for you guys. Glad you're eating it up. :-)
ReplyDeletenice.. smart horsey! :)
ReplyDeleteWhoa, thank goodness he thought and maneuvered out of that! I would have messed myself watching if my boy did that. ;) Oh, and heat and I are NOT good friends either-coconut water is your friend during the heat to ward off dehydration!
ReplyDelete