Part 1: Fear
Part 2: Equipment
***
As I am sure many readers have already done, I spent much of last weekend watching the George Morris Horsemastership Clinics from the comfort of my couch. I drooled over Kent Farrington who is just delicious. McClain Ward is also handsome. Plus they are amazing teachers. I enjoyed watching the kids, too, who were professional, well-turned out, and damn good riders.
![]() |
| McClain and Sapphire. *swoon* |
Katie Prudent's talk was a fantastic guide on how to select a show jumper, but I think that these qualities can be used in the selection of just about any horse.
How do you select an eventing horse?
Or how do you know if the horse you already have will make a decent eventer?
I am going to use this horse ...
![]() |
| Not an international show jumper. |
... as a guide.
So Katie says there are 5 qualities she looks for when horse shopping.
1. Carefullness.
This quality comes in 3 degrees: freaky careful, normal careful and careful-enough.
Freaky careful: This is a horse who will do anything not to touch the jump (twist his body, etc.). This type of horse typically requires a rider who rides accurate and straight. Spooky horses tend to be more careful.
Normal Careful: A horse that in general has clear rounds. A horse perhaps for a professional or experienced AA or junior.
Careful enough: A horse that can pack around an AA or junior and will average clear rounds. This horse can have a bad fence and still continue on to the next one and jump better.
Which category does Hampton fall in?
Careful enough.
Do I think he can be trained to be more careful? Maybe a little. But it's not in his nature to be freaky careful. He just isn't bothered by hitting poles or spooky fences. He has never gotten rattled while jumping and I just can't see him putting in THAT much effort not to touch a fence. Do I think he can pack around an AA around a novice course someday? Absolutely. But let's face it, he is not Neville Bardos (an example of freaky careful) or Hickstead.
![]() |
| Sapphire = freaky careful |
2. Bravery
Yes, as young horses you may have a spook or a stop. But does that horse come back around, study the jump and go over the next time? But as training progresses, you want a horse that is brave and confident - especially for eventing. Test your horse's bravery by putting a coat or blanket across the top rail of a jump.
Do I think Hampton is brave? Yes. Part of it is that he trusts me quite a bit. I think more schooling will let him develop more confidence and bravery over fences. Eventually he will be able to save my ass when I mess up.
![]() |
| Neville = brave or insane? |
3. Scope
This is the horse's ability to jump high and wide fences. Do they study the jump? Do they clear jumps with ease? I find that scopey horses often have an excellent bascule (shape) over the fences, too.
I think Hampton has enough scope for the levels I want to show at. (So, uh, not Grand Prix or 4* events). Again, look at Hickstead, Neville or Sapphire if you want to see exceptional scope.
![]() |
| Hickstead = scope |
4. Good brain
"The ability accept training," Katie said. Usually horses with a good brain also have heart - the desire to work for you.
This is Hampton's strongest quality. He is wonderful to train, kind, well-behaved and has a consistent attitude. He is sensitive to his rider.
5. Rideability.
What kind of mouth does the horse have? Is he easy to turn? Quick off your leg? Can you adjust his stride? This is the least important quality because you can train most horses to be more ridable. But you should keep this in mind if looking for a horse for a specific client (a small woman vs. a larger man for instance). A small woman probably isn't going to enjoy riding a strong, rank 17.2 horse. (Except if you are Margie Engle)
Hampton is super ridable and has been since the very first time I sat on his back. Ok, so we couldn't steer well at first but he has been willing to go along with the program from Day 1. He has developed a wonderful tempo, a soft but communicating mouth, adjustable strides (we are working on that at the canter still) and he can be handy when he wants to be. :)
... There is actually a 6th quality: Soundness and confirmation that a student brought up. You have to trust what you feel in this case, and trust your vet. I got the impression that confirmation can be a crapshoot. Some horses are able to deal with certain flaws and be quite successful. Others with perfect confirmation can't jump their way out of a wet paper bag.
I agree 100% with Katie. I don't look at pedigree. I look at the horse I have.
Anyone have any qualities to add?
Also, Mr. Farrington:
![]() |
| Cute boy on a horse! |






I think that an amateur's horse also needs to be forgiving. As the horse's training and confidence build he must be confident enough to not blow his own mind if his rider makes a big mistake and he has to save them both. I think it is not fair for an amateur horse to have to save his rider over fence after fence, but he does need to have a controllable amount of drive combined with the ability to forget a driver error and not start worrying about the next fence because his rider nearly fell off at this fence. My previous horse was described by several pro clinicians as having the scope to be a pro horse and the mind to be an amateur horse. It can be a life saving combination.
ReplyDeleteI have yet to watch that session. It sounds like a goodie. Such great points. And Kent yummm!
ReplyDeletehow much does sheer determination count for? I think you and Hamps will go far, I have a friend who has a horse that's a lot like him and she's done really well at the lower levels because her horse was sane and didn't need to be really peppy to get up and go like the need in the upper levels. Good luck! Love watching you guys grow :)
ReplyDelete