Sadly I did not get my New Year's Day ride in. 1) Because I was hungover and 2) It was snowing horizonally. Hampton didn't seem too disappointed.
We have otherwise been rather "unplugged" the last couple of weeks.
I did ride when Sampson's owner come up from Missouri to ride him. Sampson was very well behaved and she seemed to really enjoy him. She comes from a saddleseat background so I think I may have totally confused her when I was giving her pointers. Also, she was amazed that Sampson would stop when she merely tightened her core. :) I love teaching people dressage and watching their faces light up.
I rode Hampton, who was fine but the arena footing was crap so I never really got the push I wanted.
Sampson hopped on the trailer this morning to head back home.
![]() |
| Hampton and Sampton |
I'm debating whether or not to take in another training horse. Probably not.
Hampton is losing weight again and it makes me furious. I could board him at a place with an indoor for the amount of extra money I am spending on feed and alfalfa cubes. The roundbales they munch on all day have very little nutritional value. It works fine for the air ferns, but not for horses like Hamps or the TBs. It is so frustrating. I am going to up his cubes first, then the grain. It hasn't even been that cold, and he's been wearing a blanket. Going to start him back on UGuard just in case, too.
As for 2012 goals ... I'm not really making any. I HOPE to attend the adult dressage camp at FHF in the spring. From there, I really want to attend a USDF show at Lamplight, a couple of CAF shows (and do starter and BN combined tests) ... and perhaps a clinic or 2. I decided not to attend event camp at CAF. I just can't see how that can happen money wise. But hopefully I can make it down to CAF for lessons a few times this year. :)
No idea what will happen with my job. For the time being I plan to stick around here and see what happens. I think I am going to go back to school so I need to get the ball rolling on that.
Also, my best friend is moving away and that makes me sad. I will be hauling her horse (to friggin KANSAS) for her, so major roadtrip in the works. The last major roadtrip I went on was to California. We drove 30 hours straight through.
I lost my mind and sang Miley Cirus for 2 hours straight.


Miley Cyrus? You must have been desparate. I bummed Hampton is loosing weight. I hope you can figure something out that doesn't break you. So sorry that your friend is moving that sucks. Glad too hear you are not leaving but I want you to be happy and I hope that things start to go your way.
ReplyDeleteSorry to hear that Hamps is losing weight again! my no fail/on a budget way to keep horses weight up is to feed beet pulp and rice bran. The BP has tons of calories but not too much sugar, and the rice bran has enough fat and protein to make a pretty balanced meal... Something to consider maybe? I've had my fair share of skinny TB's who just won't keep weight and I know how frustrating it can be!
ReplyDeleteSo cool that you can share some insights with Sampson's owner, I recently had someone do something similar to me and it changed the whole relationship between Bijou and I. Good for you :)
You sound rambling and confused.
ReplyDeleteI guess we're in the same boat.