A few inches of snow + nice sunny day + sled + horseh ... I mean it seemed obvious to me what to do today!
I started out just hooking up a boogie board. I walked Hampton around while he pulled that for a while. He was a little nervous, mostly just giving me the look of "Um, this doesn't seem normal." A couple of times I did let him turn around and stare down the boogie board. He snorted at it, walked up to it ... then chewed on it.
| What is this thing that chases me? |
After a while there was lots of licking and chewing and he began to figure out this new little game. So I switched out the boogie board for a sled and asked my barn friend to hop on in and be the guinea pig. :) When Hamps first felt the weight, he stopped and looked at me like I was crazy. But he proceeded to walk on without incident. There was some very tiny pig-rooting when we trotted. The rope was lying over his butt and I think it was a new sensation for him and possibly uncomfortable. I need to hook up a better rig next time.
I took a turn in the sled, too, of course, because the 15 year old in me just could not resist.
He took in all in stride and became bored with it all and started frisking us for treats. Perhaps next time I can ride him and pull someone ... then we can really pick up some speed. :)
Love it. What a guy!
ReplyDeleteNext time use your surcingle and lines off the side rings on each side much more effective and not so bothersome across his bum.
ReplyDeleteMy QH used to do this all the time, except I would ride her and pull my kids in the sled behind her. Nothing like being in a sled pulled by a galloping horse across a snow covered hay field.
Fun way to spend a snowy day. What a good boy!
ReplyDeleteGlad we're not the only ones!
ReplyDeleteLooks like sooo much fun! What a good boy Hampton was.
ReplyDelete