Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Dull eardrum

So, you may remember when Hampton fell on me during a trail ride at the end of August.

I did not hit my head (and was wearing a helmet), but I had major vertigo for about a week after that incident. I thought I was just dehydrated, you know, since all I drank that day was beer ... and uh, beer.

The vertigo went away after a week.

Well now it's back. With some mild ear pain. I only get dizzy when my head changes positions - like rolling over in bed, sitting up quickly, leaning my head back or laying down. Great. So I made myself go to the doctor seeing as how it is not going away.

She said I have dull eardrums!! I'd like to think my eardrums are the enthusiastic, free spirit types but I guess not. Humph.
Your ear contains a saddle joint and a stirrup. Cool!


A very nice assistant tried to flush my ears but that procedure didn't last long. Holy **** it hurt. I'd rather see the gyno than have my ears flushed ever again thanks. So they poked and prodded a bit more and finally decided I should start with an antibiotic and a decongestant. I guess when your ear drums are dull, it means there is fluid behind them. Possibly left over from a virus (I had a cold over Christmas ...). I am hoping that's all it is, because if it doesn't improve by Friday I have to get a stupid CAT scan of my head because there could be a "problem" having to due with my fall in August. Or something else?

She did give me a pretty good neuro exam and I passed with flying colors so I am thinking I just have an ear issue and not a brain issue.

So other than my really dull ear drums, life is plugging along. I am hoping to get some rides in this week but the arenas have been gross, half-frozen messes. Also, Hampton has what I think is ringworm and so I am treating it as such. And I want that to clear up before I put my freshly washed saddle pads on him. He got his annual "bib" trace clip and no longer looks like a yak.

Oh and he also managed to TAKE OFF his blanket in the field the other day. I found him, nekked and prancing around all proud of himself. His tie-dye blanket in a heap in the mud and poop, soaked. I swear if he were human he would be a pot-smoking frat boy who takes off his clothes randomly and is too dense to know when a girl likes him. (Not that I KNOW anyone of this type or anything!!! derrrr) One of the belly straps was broken and so were the leg straps. Not a mark on Hampton. Thankfully I know Hampton and had a back up blanket ready. But now I have no back up for my back up. Debating whether I should get another blanket for him or not? ....

Hampton:1; Blanket: 0

7 comments:

  1. I've had boughts of vertigo and was able to trace it back to a neck injury from a fall. Like you I was wearing a helmet and ended up with whiplash. My C2 vertebra was out of alignment and the tissue around it was inflamed. That put pressure on my optic nerve and a whole lot of other stuff in there. If I keep my neck in line and make sure the old injury doesn't get inflamed I am good. As soon as it gets reinjured, I am on my back with vertigo. I wouldn't wish it on anyone. Hope you find what the root cause of yours is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yuck. Of course you guys have medical issues at the same time--otherwise, this would be way too easy.

    Take care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am voting ear infection! That will be all cleared up with a round of antibiotics. I still think there is something wrong with your brain but that has nothing to do with vertigo. Haha I am just a riot. You know I love you. What is with our boys having groddy skin diseases at the same time?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmm... I've been having a lot of similar symptoms (I'll get vertigo from rolling over in bed, etc.) This was a fascinating read for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hmmm, if she could see your eardrums there was no need to flush anything. Flushing just removes the wax in the canal- it can't touch what's behind the tympanic membrane.

    The fall may have dislodged crystals in your circular canals. the movement of them along the fine hairs can cause vertigo. once they get re-lodged symptoms will go away. If that's what it is. Other options include an inner ear infection but the symptoms for that are usually quite severe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha! Maybe he doesn't approve of a tie-dye blanket!!

    Feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for Porkin' and Choppin' with us!