This photo was taken on Saturday. All weekend it has been a comfortable 45-50 degrees. The arena footing has been great and we have fit in 3 rides in a row. Holla.
Saturday: Um, so Saturday Hampton, like many of the horses these days, had a wild feather up his ass. There must be something in the air because I am getting multiple reports of horses who are normally mellow having bucking fits, spooking and acting like morons. Thankfully, I managed to have a super ride with only one scoot/leap/head toss movement. I thought he might buck but I yanked his head up in time. Otherwise, he is about as forward as Hampton gets without being a squirrel. We worked on lateral work (leg yield, shoulder-in, haunches in and some ranvers), forward and back and some turn on the haunches. I didn't canter because I was scared I would be bucked off. I decided to end the session on a really good note and not push my luck. I do not consider myself a chicken - I consider that smart riding! :)
Sunday: Hampton was back to his normal, mellow self. But we still had a super ride. More of the usual lateral work plus some cantering. Leg yielding at the canter away from and back to the rail. This has become much more easy for Hampton lately. We also worked on cantering on straight lines - forward and back around the ring. After my lesson with LAZ, I realized that we need to canter more on straight lines. He is old enough to do that now and it is a definite hole in our training. We also worked on some half steps (they are getting there, still need more implusion) and ended the day with a relaxing trail ride with Lilly, JJ and their humans. Hampton cracks me up when he instantly switches over to trail poneh. His neck gets long, ears go to the side. He has a nice walk in the arena but heading away from the farm he is easily outpaced by Lilly, a 14.3 Walker and JJ, a 14.2 Quarter Horse. Yet my 17.1 TB cross always ALWAYS lags behind. *sigh*
![]() |
| Hey camera lady you got treats? |
He is otherwise sound and happy. His feet are in remarkably good shape especially since he has been standing in a swamp for more than a month. I've been debating giving him his "bib" trace clip but I think I may wait another month just in case it decides to get super cold.
I see that CAF has added a second week of Event Camp ... I am so, so tempted. I don't know how I would afford it but .. where there's a will, there's a way. Right?


The weather has been amazing!!! What a great winter we are having! I think it is awesome that you are able to get in good trainging considering the time of year. That second camp is freaking tempting. I just can't see how I can come up with the money before March then it goes up after that, humph, I am going to so green with jealously when everyone is posting on FB during camp. I am thinking I may audit but then agian that may just make me sad...lol. I am thinking that Peter Atkins clinic at the Bea Hive looks like a good option and Dorothy is doing an IEA clinic at some point too. But I wanna go to camp, boo hoo :(
ReplyDeleteI love hearing about more and more of the Hamper's progress. You have just done a phenomenal job with him and I have been following for quite some time. I don't know if you saw the FL Horsemastership videos this week, but Anne and Beezie both talked about the ping pong in the bridle and both demonstrated how your lateral work really should be a basic part of every warmup and connection session.
ReplyDeleteSo yay, Olympic showjumpers agree with you! :D
You are so lucky you can ride outside! It's been bouncing on either side of freezing here, so our arena is like an ice rink from all the melting/refreezing cycles. If it's better on the weekend, I can probably get away with doing exercises at the walk, which isnt a bad idea.
ReplyDeleteCongrats on the good rides!