Monday, May 23, 2011

Up, open, active

Hampton has been giving me some great work all week. I'm not sure if it's because the horses have been having some time out in the grass field, or because I upped his grain slightly (he's looking a bit thin to me again) ... but the boy has has energy to spare!

Yesterday was 85+ degrees and I thought for sure I would be having to push him along. Oh no. Some horses took off in the pasture and Hampton does a little scoot and head shake to express his opinion. Um - ok? I was only going to trail ride but if he had that much energy then we shall work. Boy did I get some excellent shoulder-ins, good leg yields and he was up, open and active. Which I LOVE - especially for a 4 year old. This is different from above the bit. He was on the bit, with the poll at the highest point, nose slightly in front of the vertical. And he was forward and working. We even touched a bit on haunches in (I'm still figuring out the best way to teach him this, it seems difficult for him. Or I am just not communicating well enough what I want) We did eventually go out on a short trail ride which was windy (thankfully) and lovely.

After we came back from the trail ride, I set up a small jump. :) First just a cross rail, and then a vertical! Ok, he did knock it down a couple of times. But it seems if I put something different under the jump, he will jump it like a champ. After a few times over, he gets bored and stops putting in the effort. We did get some lovely little jumps (it was maybe a 2 foot vertical if that). He was calm about the entire thing, which was my goal. I think we are ready to start hauling away for some more formal jumping lessons! yay!

I am also making plans to go on an overnight trail ride. Perhaps to Brown County State Park? I really think Hampton needs to haul to a new place and have a relaxing time and not have it be a busy horse show. Ok. The real truth is that we BOTH need that. haha. The only thing that worries me is that the park doesn't have stalls. Your horse will need to spend the night tied to something ( your trailer, a picket line, whatever). I love Hampton, but I DO NOT TRUST HIM to remain tied all night. He will untie himself and all the horses around him. Because that he now he rolls. lol. Ideas?

2 comments:

  1. that picture is very cute, hampton's looking right at the camera :)

    and the overnight trail ride sounds amazing, can't you pick up a collapsible pen? or some electric tape and a few standards to set up a little pen where he can't untie anything?

    dunno how you'd go about carrying it but they're both pretty light options, probably just a little awkward to carry on horseback.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Over night trail ride sounds like a great idea for you guys!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for Porkin' and Choppin' with us!