Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Dang it!

"Treat?"
So Hampton's right leg/hock/stifle? is bothering him again. Damn it! I hope I didn't push him too far on Friday. His canter that evening was fan-freaking-tastic. So the point where I started to ask for canter-walk transitions and just a tad more collection. I was smiling the entire time!

Saturday we did only trot work and a trail ride. Sunday we did ground poles on the lunge, a little piaffe work in hand and some fun free jumping on the lunge line for fun. Monday he had the day off. Which brings us to today. He was working just fine - I wanted to go back to easy basics today and school Training Level Test 1 a bit.  We also did a few leg yields at the trot. Many circles. The right lead canter was still lovely, and the left lead wasn't to the point of "oh shit I need to call the chiro" bad ... but it was stiff. And he wanted to drop the inside shoulder (not like him). During one downward transition (to the trot) he even took a really stiff/lame step with the right hind as he switched gaits. *sigh* Oh Hampton. So while our ride was good, and our run through of the test was acceptable ... now I'm not sure what to do. Do I give him another day off the week of a show? Do I keep working him lightly? ahhhh!!! I know tomorrow he will spend some time in his magnetic hock boots ... and I guess I'll work him lightly and see where it goes. A back massage is probably in order.

Aboard Noah
Noah the giant also is making progress - as slow as it is sometimes. Today I rode him off the lunge line and with no ground person for the first time ever. And he was totally fine. Steering needs more work, but he's coming along. I am loving the hot weather. It makes for cooperative young horses. heh heh. Tomorrow I'll climb back on him and see if we can trot. He is likely going back home at the end of the month so I supposed he should be at least walk-trotting under saddle. He just needed so much handling and ground work to start with. And I think that's more important.

Hoping everyone's ponies are well behaved and healthy! :)

5 comments:

  1. How frustrating for you. It sounds like you mixed things up well and didn't over do it. I'd be inclined to give two or three days off. It won't hurt his show performance and may even help it. Fine for me to say, right? I'd want to ride too.
    He looks gorgeous by the way. Good luck, I hope he's back to normal asap.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh bummer! I hope Hampton feels better soon. If it's not one thing - it's another with our darling equines ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Darn it is right! I know you will do the right thing either way I just wanted you to know I was reading and saying darn it with you. Sending good leg healing vibes you way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope he is just muscle sore. I would also be inclined to give him some days off and a chiro visit if possible. Hopefully he will be fit and ready for the show.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so glad to hear that someone else believes that ground work is so important! So many horse owners want trainers to "hurry up and break" their horse without really instilling the basics first. Every horse that has a firm foundation in ground work will be a much easier/better horse to ride! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for Porkin' and Choppin' with us!