Sunday, April 24, 2011

And once again, I'm a believer.

It took a day for things to "settle" this time, but Hampton is back to his old self now after the chiro adjustment. Infact, he may be even better.

We went for an evening ride on Friday - right at dusk. Hampton was LIT ... but it wasn't a naughty, "I'm going to buck you off" type of feeling good, it was more like a "oh yeah i can move now - lets GO!" type of thing. No spooking or anything naughty, but wow was he forward. Lots of push from behind. He was sharp and quick off my leg. He was pretty  unsteady in the bridle, but I think that's his 4 year old side showing through and probably part my fault as I wasn't using that much leg since I spent most of the time trying to keep a decent tempo instead of Mach 10. Half halts DO require leg, Karen. Please make a post-it note on that. Geez.

Saturday was even better. His canter was so rhythmical and balanced that we even got some counter-canter in! Probably some of the best we've done so far. He was much more steady in the bridle (um, because I was putting leg on, duh) and we did leg yields, shoulder-in, forward and back and he was just brilliant. The sitting trot was the best I've ever felt on him - like there was a place to sit. So fun! I was so, so proud of him.

We also went on a trail ride around the corn fields. He was, again, perfect. There was even a really flooded part of the corn field. The water was deep enough that there were little waves in it. I had never asked Hampton to cross any real water before (he will gladly slop through puddles in the arena) ... so I wasn't sure what I was in for. But ... he plowed right through. No hesitation. No nothing. In fact I think the splashing was fun for him. He had his ears pricked and power-walked through like a champ! I was beaming and giggling. Then I remembered I had put my good sheepskin boots on him that day!! GAH!!! What was I thinking?

Luckily they didn't seem any worse for wear after a good rinse when we got home. Ugh.

Short term goals include a lesson at the big dressage farm on May 1, then the CAF show on May 14. I really can't wait to use my trailer. haha.

Happy Easter to those who celebrate it. :)

3 comments:

  1. So glad Hampton's doing so well. Very nice. They're so fun when they're forward without spooky. Very impressive about the water too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you had a fantastic ride today. I'm so happy for you, those are the absolute best, especially if you've been having a bit of trouble.
    Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gotta LOVE the chiro!!! You guys are getting in a grove and you are going to be on your A game come May 14!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for Porkin' and Choppin' with us!