I had intended to ride Hampton today and one other horse before heading into work. I had plans to work on leg yielding, shoulder-in and possibly try leg yielding at the canter. So I got him out to lunge and .... rut ro. His right hind leg was bad. Sometimes he does start out a little short strided behind but then works out of it. So I lunged him a bit more. When asked for the canter, he was uncharacteristically reluctant to canter (he's very well broke and obedient on the lunge) ... when he did canter, it was that wonky, lateral egg-beater canter. Nope, no riding.
Yup, SOMEONE needs to see the chiro! This is exactly what happened last time. Maybe 6 months ago? His pelvis and back were out as well as his poll. The chiro comes on Wednesday so hopefully he can be comfy again. I let him trot around a bit more just to loosen his joints. I lunged him over a few ground poles as well. He did start looking a bit better at the end. He was really stretching over his back and moving much more evenly. So I called it a day with him. I may lunge him tomorrow or Tuesday - but no cantering. That is obviously difficult for him right now so no need to pick a fight over a clearly physical issue.
Guess that means Baxter will get all of my attention tomorrow and Tuesday. muwahahaha.

No comments:
Post a Comment
Thanks for Porkin' and Choppin' with us!