
Things were going to well today with Hampton until I asked for the left lead canter. At first it was OK, then he got a bit wiggly and sassy and threw in a head toss. Hmmm. Ok maybe I accidently goosed him. So I tried another transition and WHAM! He kicked out, NAILED the letter A (and shattered it) and therefore earned himself a spanking and about 10 minutes of leg yield work. Tried the canter transition again in the same spot and while it wasn't as prompt as I would like, it was calm and obedient. Sheesh. 3 year olds! As soon as I put him back in his stall, he peed. So I'm going to blame that on the reason for his mild hissy fit. Still no excuse. I do not know why, but a lot of young horses seem to do that - they end up getting this "I have to pee" look about halfway through the schooling session. Weird. Otherwise the session was good - he's really getting the hand of stretching down at the free walk. Stretching at the trot is good, too, but his nose could be a little more out. Something to work on. Turn on the haunches is starting to get there, although he is still a little confused. I just take it slow. One step at a time. He's getting it. One of my favorite exercises is "Think turn on the forehand while walking a circle." .. I started doing this with Hampton and it does WONDERS for him. Makes him soft and supple. He's really good at stepping way under himself. While he can't do many steps in a row (he will "protest" and come above the bit and want to stop because the work is hard), I think it's a great exercise for any horse. Even if you just do little bits.
I'll work him probably almost every day this week and really start working on the transitions and making our 20 meter circles smooth and consistent.
***
More from the song challenge:
Day 08 - A song that you know all the words to:
"Disarm" by the Smashing Pumpkins. Every time I pick up a guitar, I almost always play this one. :-)
Day 09 - A song that you can dance to
"2001" by Phish. ... actually just about anything by Phish but if 2001 doesn't inspire you to dance, then,
well, maybe you are catatonic?
Day 10 - A song that makes you fall asleep
"Night Moves" by Bruce Springsteen. Sorry, but it's sleep inducing.
Day 11 - A song from your favourite band
I have to pick just one? OK this time I pick "Tweezer." by Phish
Day 12 - A song from a band you hate
Nickelback has been selected as the band I hate most. I'm not sure I know any of their songs. How about "How you Remind me"
No comments:
Post a Comment
Thanks for Porkin' and Choppin' with us!