Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Stowaways

I should really know better than to leave my truck open at the barn. 


I arrived today and unloaded a bag of alfalfa pellets (new addition to Hampton's diet) out of the back of my truck, lugged it to the feed room, dumped it in its own tub, then returned to my truck and closed the tailgate. I proceded to go collect Hampton, fed him, etc. etc and put him back out in the field. I went hunting for a little red bucket I have so that I could take some pellets home tonight to make a nice warm mash for Hampton tomorrow. I looked all over for the bucket and decided maybe I should look in the bed of my truck one more time. I opened the tailgate and WHAM - 3 barn cats were like bats outta hell out of there. It startled me so much I yelled a little (thinking I had little varments in my truck) ... then laughed when I realized the barn cats had snuck in there. If I had not gone out to look for that bucket - they would have gone home with me and who knows when or if I would have discovered them. Sheesh.


So we'll see how Hampton does with the addition of alfalfa pellets to his diet. Introducing them slowly, so it will be a week or two before he's getting what he really needs. He is otherwise happy and warm. The mounting block in the arena was sitting up against the fence today (instead of just lying flat like usual) and Hampton snorted at it and eyed it VERY suspiciously. But that's about the extent of it. I am happy that he is (so far) very well behaved in this weather (several horses are maniacs just walking to and from the pasture). He is due for another trim soon, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for Porkin' and Choppin' with us!