Finally, the temps hit almost 50 degrees and the arena was melted, although sopping wet. It was rainy, windy and chilly. But I was determined to work the horse. The arena is sand, so it was still perfectly fine to work in. Hampton was superb. He lunged well (although he did want to bulge out a little bit on one side, not unlike him) and I hooked up both side reins for a little while. I have lunged him with the inside side rein on quite a few times, but this is the first he's had them both on. He figured out the concept right away, although he could use some more miles in them before he gets his balance. He's a bit unsteady but that's normal. No freak-outs whatsoever. The reins were of course very loose, but he could definitely "feel" them and reacted appropriately. Not bad for a 2 year old that hasn't been worked in a couple of months. Every part of me wanted to climb on and take him for a ride, but I didn't. Mostly because I wasn't dressed to ride. Plus, I scratched my eye yesterday so I have to wear my old, very crooked glasses for a while. Not the best to be riding young horses in.(this photo is from the summer on the day when Hampton wore a saddle for the first time)
No comments:
Post a Comment
Thanks for Porkin' and Choppin' with us!