Friday, December 22, 2017

The Ship


What is dying
I am standing on the seashore, a ship sails in the
 morning breeze and starts for the ocean.
He is an object of beauty and I stand watching him till at
 last he fades on the horizon and someone at my side says: "He is gone."
Gone!
Where
Gone from my sight that is all.
He is just as large in the masts, hull and spars as 
he was when I saw him, and just as able to bear 
his load of living freight to its destination.
The diminished size and total loss of sight is in me, 
not in him, and just at the moment when someone at my side says,
"He is gone"
there are others who are watching him coming, and other voices take up a glad shout:
"There he comes!"
and that is dying.

___

Goodbye, Daddy.


18 comments:

  1. </3 thinking of you and your family in this difficult time Karen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry for your pain. That poem is a beautiful tribute to your father. <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so incredibly sorry. Love and hugs to you on this day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry for your loss. So difficult. Beautiful poem. I am sure your Dad was very grateful for all the time you were able to spend with him at the end. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I’m so very sorry for your loss πŸ’™

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is such a lovely poem, my dad read it as his mum’s funeral and it’s always resonated with me.
    I’m so, so sorry for your loss. My thoughts are with you and your family..

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so sorry. Such a beautiful and poignant poem.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Karen I am so sorry. The poem is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh I’m so sorry Karen. I’ve been thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I feel sad reading this poem because I think it can only hint at the edges of the grief you must be in. Hugs from afar.

    ReplyDelete
  11. πŸ’”πŸ’”πŸ’”πŸ’”

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am so sorry Karen. Thank you for sharing your grief with us, I hope it's helped in some measure. ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thinking of you and your family. (((❤️❤️❤️)))

    ReplyDelete
  14. So sorry. Hugs to you, and well wishes to your dad on his next journey, wherever it may be.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Truly Heartbreaking. I know words are not enough, if I could envelope you and your loves ones in the biggest, strongest, warmest hug I would.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love to you and your family through this hard time. ❤️ ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a beautiful tribute to your Dad! My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family, Karen.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for Porkin' and Choppin' with us!