Monday, February 6, 2017

Back on the trails

Since moving to our current barn, our trail access has just not been as awesome as it was previously. Granted, we now have a covered arena to ride in so I will gladly take the trade-off but I do miss trail riding. Not just taking a walk around, but actually "man from snowy river" - ing it on the trails.




Until now!

A couple of barn friends took me out this morning on some drop-dead gorgeous trails. It MAY or MAY NOT be trespassing in some parts, but we do have permission to ride on others so .... errr ... I will just play dumb if I am ever busted. Plus I do not plan on taking advantage of the land-owners' kindness too often.

We ended up on a good 2 hour ride, going down rather steep hills and ending up at the creek! (Same creek we used to ride in but about 15 miles downstream). It is STUNNING. The walk was gorgeous with rolling hills, boulders, a few old bridges that had overgrown dirt and grass on top. Plenty of deer, too.

It's still supposedly "winter" here in ky ... so nothing is green

Cool boulder. Gorgeous hills to the right.

Getting a drink



There were a couple of rugged parts where we really had to ride up or down steep, rocky hills. It's so good for Hampton to have to think about where his feet are. Next time I take this route tho I will prob need a breastcollar!

All the horses were very well behaved. All are seasoned trail horses so we had no problems at all.

I could tell Hamps worked his little ass off on the hills. I took pity on him and gave him a gram of bute with his lunch.

The covered arena is finally ready to go again (new roof!) so we can practice actual test movements again! Yay! Although the past two weeks of piro work, transitions and suppling have been very good for us. Time to get serious. For realz.

Will we be ready for PSG this spring?
You tell me Hampton!

7 comments:

  1. I miss riding down to the creek at hidden bridge. How fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made the same trade off of indoor over trails.... But have heard tell that there ARE actually trails around my barn. Hopefully they turn out as lovely as yours!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad I'm not the only one that doesn't consider a quiet walk through the woods a real trail ride... or uses the term "man from snowy river"ing hahaha! Brantley had a breastplate for both saddles because of this for sure. I can't wait to get back out and that's awesome the land owners are so good about it. Best thing for brain and body for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We had warm weather this weekend so I borrowed one of my trainer's horses and hit the trails. Everyone else must have had the same idea because we saw about 8 other horses while we were out there

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those trails look amazing and I'm SOOO jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like an awesome place to go riding!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks like it would have been right up my alley!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for Porkin' and Choppin' with us!