![]() |
| My Valentine. |
Thanks to a very bizarre and mild winter here in KY, we have been able to work straight through all winter.
(Please don't decide to unload a bunch of ice and snow now, mother nature)
Hampton has made such tremendous progress just in the past 6 months. It's hard to believe that what seemed so impossible last year, we are now schooling regularly and keep getting better. Last year was a "development year" and also a year that I really felt like we were in a plateau.
Moving barns and getting into a super regular lesson program (at least once a week) has been well worth the money. I love working on my own, but I really needed the extra help to get us over that hump. I've been quiet this winter. No schooling shows, no clinics. Just quietly chipping away.
I have no idea where our scores will be this year. I am aiming for a small schooling show in early March to test the waters. I mean who knows, we may not be as ready as I feel we might be? That has certainly happened before. Like, every show season.
Best area of improvement? Flying changes!
Check it out I made another gif!!

Actual video clip ...
Two changes along the wall, 4 strides in between. Keep in mind we could not do this even 6 months ago. The left to right change (the first one you see) can still at times get "stuck." I really have to keep the hind end jumping and typically it is at least clean now. It's a little swingy at times, but we are working on getting that cleaned up now that the change is clean and ON MY AIDS. I need to work on keeping my upper body more quiet and stop trying to "help."
We are really starting to get the tempi changes. We can do 4s and 3s and they are now 90% obedient, clean and actually even pretty! No where close to perfect but holy crap if only I had video of the shit show that was our changes for the past 3 years.
![]() |
| "Yes I know I am good boy." |
Anyway, point of this post is to KEEP PERSISTING. (shout out to E. Warren here)
Also, I really have Hampton to thank for being such a patient, kind teacher. Future horses are lucky that I am making all these


Go hampers!
ReplyDeleteThis post is so relevant to me. You give me hope in our changes!
ReplyDeleteSuper cool!
ReplyDeleteOMG SO EXCITING. I use you and Hampton as motivation of what I want to do someday!
ReplyDeleteThis is so cool! I can't wait to see you guys in action.
ReplyDeleteYou guys look so amazing and give me so much hope!
ReplyDeleteThose tempi's are GORGEOUS!
ReplyDeleteYay progress!! I love that feeling of suddenly being able to do something that was not possible in recent memory!!
ReplyDeleteNow that's some good progress - it looks so good.
ReplyDeleteRyon would do tempis inadvertently because he'd get himself so worked up to canter. Can he do them when you ask him to? No way
So cool! Way to go
ReplyDelete