| The crew. (Notice how the other horses are tired from the hills. NOT HAMPTON) |
A little group from our barn is getting into a little routine of a Sunday morning trail ride. I am loving it!
An older gentleman who lives down the road also joins us, and since he knows quite a few of the property owners in the area he was able to get us permission to ride to the Ohio River on Sunday.
It was a gloomy day, but that didn't stop us. It was probably best as it kept the horses cooler. There was quite a bit of hill work and countless creek crossings as we made out way down the big hill.
Hamps was in the lead most of the time and seemed to enjoy himself. He likes the "responsibility" of being the lead horse, I think. It's interesting to me. When he is in front, he walks with authority. Marching along at a good clip, ears perked. When he follows, he almost always turns into a plug. Relaxing, has airplane ears, head lower. I am guessing it is because as a follower, he doesn't have to worry as much. Anyone else experience this? He has always been a protector - both of other horses, and me. Which is why I think he thinks it is his job, his duty, to be out front.
Anyway.
As we made our way out, we passed several abandoned race horse farms. One had this COOL old outhouse on the property. It was crooked, and leaned to one side. I noticed their barn sign was called "Leaning Crescent Farm." It had a picture of the out house on the sign. You could tell the property had been long abandoned though.
| The outhouse |
Once we hit the actual trail, it started to get a little slick and muddy. Hamps slid a good 5 feet down one hill. Good boy kept his footing and kept trucking!
We had to help the mustang cross one rocky creek crossing. She has spent most of her life as a dressage pony, so trails were new to her. Yes, she was caught from the wild but I believe she came from Nevada so perhaps creek crossings were new to her? haha. Anyway she quickly gained confidence and on we went.
After weaving out way through more creek crossings and some gorgeous flood plains, we finally reached the river. It was a touch foggy and in spite of the gloomy day, was still gorgeous. We stopped to get some photos.
The other horses - including an Arabian who is a multi-champion endurance horse - stopped to rest. Guess who still had a flame up his butt? Yes, Hampton. He would not stand still. Chomping at the bit. Not the least bit tired.
I thought, ok buddy, well the way back is ALL UPHILL so good luck with that.
As we turned around to head back home, Hampton was LIT. He was practically passaging up the hills. I could hear the other horses behind me huffing and puffing. Meanwhile, Hampton thinks this is the goddamn Tevis Cup and is hauling ass up the hill
Once we got back up to the road, I let someone else lead and he calmed down. Boy was he on a mission! He still was not tired even as we got back to the farm!
I don't think fitness will be a problem this year....
| One of the few flatter areas |
Yeah water not so much in Nevada but damn hampy showing up the arabian?? I didn't know that was possible.
ReplyDeleteHow funny! Super fit dressage horse! yay!
ReplyDeleteThat's so cool that he was so fit and I'm so, so jealous of your ability to go on trail rides like that. I need to trailer out to trail ride which is tough without a trailer haha
ReplyDeleteOur horses are always perkier when in the lead position; not sure what that is all about but they all do it (some more than others). And I'm super impressed with Hampton's fitness -- good job! He should be a poster child for people who think "arena horses" and "dressage horses" aren't as fit as trail horses. That's always made me laugh... an hour or so of strenuous training v meandering around in the woods for a couple hours... let me think.
ReplyDeleteThose abandoned farms are really intriguing. At one of my old barns, we had a super long trail that led to the water. Early on it was this partially burned down farm house that I always loved to look into. The new place also has an abandoned house, but it looks good enough that I'd be willing to patch it up. Ya know, if I had money and all.
ReplyDeleteHa that's awesome! So he does dressage, dabbles in eventing, and apparently has the chops for endurance! What a star lol!
ReplyDeleteI love the outhouse and the farm name!
ReplyDeleteI had a good chuckle at helping the wild caught mustang across the creek. The horse was probably like, "Excuse me. I thought I didn't have to do this shit if I was a good domesticated animal?"
Glad Hamps had lots of energy left at the end of the ride. Certainly sounds fit to me!
He wins the Fittest and Fastest Competition (that you didn't know you were having). Sounds like another horse I know...
ReplyDeleteBwhahahaha - Sampson does the same thing in the lead! And powers his big white draft bum up hills like he is in any sort of physical shape. Sadly he's never been quite the same about bringing up the rear since an incident with a jogger (seriously - how do you miss that draft butt?!?!).
ReplyDelete