Monday, December 5, 2016

The coffin

My wonderful fellow bloggers I need some advice.

Here's the deal.

Here is the current situation of my tack trunk:



My trunk is lovingly referred to as "the coffin." My dad purchased this baby for me A LONG time ago when I was a student at the University of Findlay. (ummm damn near 20 years ago holy shit)

He customized it a little with wheels and a put saddle rack inside. It has made the trek with me to college, numerous barns, 3 horses and a shit ton of tack. It has trapped a number of barn cats (all lived to tell the tale), and has been well used over the years.

When I was working on the Morgan breeding farm, one of the very ornery barn boys would constantly tell me I "had a nice chest." After smacking him repeatedly, he pointed at my tack trunk and said "NO -- THAT CHEST!" .... hahaha, so after that it was named "the coffin."

Anyway. I simply have outgrown the coffin. For right now, I have two additional tubs I keep next to it. But my space looks disorganized and cluttered, and it's sort of making my eye twitch. My bridles hang on a hook and constantly get dusty from the barn aisle. But the bigger deal is that my saddle does not fit in the coffin. The cantle is just too tall. I was riding huntseat when I first got the coffin, and of course those saddles fit in it perfectly. So as it is, I can't really lock it and I would really like to be able to lock it. I don't really want to just stuff my saddle down in there. I would rather have it on a rack, seeing as how it is my saddle and all. And I love it.

So, I have been thinking about retiring the coffin to just a storage contained for blankets, saddle pads, random stuff I don't use that often. Medical supplies, etc. etc.

Which means I am going to need an upgraded track trunk/locker.

At first I was all like "Oh hell no I am not spending more than $200 on a BOX." But then I realized that I could maybe really save up and invest in something nice, because it will last a really long time. Just as the coffin has.

At first I looked to Dover, which had this handy thing on sale:


But then I saw the price and about choked. No. ($700+ ? are you high, Dover?)

BUT!! Then I remembered someone posting about Stable Lockers. (Hillary? was that you?). These things are AMAZING! And the small version is about $485 which I think is well worth it. It has everything I need, and is sturdy and strong for barn use. I'm not so sure I really need the tall version, although that would be nice.



Does anyone else have any recommendations? I am just looking for something organized, that can be moved if need be, has a saddle rack, bridle hooks and will lock.

Then the coffin can retire.

13 comments:

  1. I've been going through this myself and think that we're going to just build one - that way I can make it suit what I need and also not pay $500+

    ReplyDelete
  2. Depending how crafty you are, I know there are plans you can purchase to build some pretty awesome tack boxes. I'm cheap, and my husband likes to wing it, so a few years ago when I was boarding he built me a box that easily held my saddle, bridles, brushes, helmet, etc, and locked. No wheels, but since it never moved, that wasn't a problem. We spent about $100 on materials. If I didn't have him, I would have gladly paid more to get something premade, mostly because I don't like DIY projects haha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha I saw the blog title and was going to scoot on over here and be like STANLEY TRUNKS ARE WHERE ITS AT but you're like. Way more sophisticated with that.

    ;-) I have nothing to offer, but I want a photo tour when you get nirvana set up, ok?

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you, or someone you know, is handy with tools, check out http://elitetackdesign.com/
    My friend made the Total Tack Cabinet (green) and it's only slightly cumbersome to move and holds and organizes everything. She also altered the plans to fit more bridle hooks in the door instead of all the wrap storage. And instead of the bins, she had 4 drawers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Um, yes. The people at Dover are ALWAYS high. Always.

    Good luck with your locker/trunk search!

    ReplyDelete
  6. If you know someone that is handy you can get plans and build one from this site.
    http://elitetackdesign.com/DAC_pg.html

    I saw one on Facebook and it was really roomy. Obviously the quality will depend on the builder.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it was Cob Jockey who repurposed some cabinets to be like a tack locker or armoire. Go back into her archives and check, it would be a low cost but time intensive custom job.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I seriously dream of better horse storage these days.... Just one trunk for me for now tho (and a truck cap... And trailer.... That are all full lol)

    ReplyDelete
  9. My Dad built my first "coffin" for my 16th birthday and I loved it! ... But I had only been a horse owner for 2 years and now... It fits just about nothing compared to what I own so I'm in the same boat. I do have a giant Rubbermaid closet type thing that I bought from Walmart that has shelving and is really handy (and lockable) ... But saddle and bridle wise? Doesn't fit.

    I really think unless you want to build something yourself, the Stable Locker looks like your best (and affordable) bet. Hell... I kind of want one now. <3 I know there's a company that makes custom ones, unless it's the same place. I saw them this year at the Equine Affaire in Massachusetts and I drooled all over them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'd second the whole make one yourself thing. You might also consider a used storage shed from CL. Some of the people at our barn use those.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yep - I have a set of saddle lockers. Honestly I wish I had purchased the Tall one from the get go instead of the smaller one (which is still big) and a small one on top. I keep mine pretty packed and love it though. It's relatively easy to move and keeps my stuff organized. They are coming out with a new more easily transportable one but not sure how it will be priced.

    ReplyDelete
  12. We started out with a metal tack storage unit on wheels and it was the best! Not sure what happened to it? Must have passed it on to some barn girl friend of Alexis. It could be locked too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Id totally DIY it because $$. I've just had to invest in lockable tackroom doors

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for Porkin' and Choppin' with us!