Wednesday, February 3, 2016

LAE clinic: Flat

I was lucky enough to ride with Lainey Ashkey again this weekend. I am exhausted (because of course I can never get a damn weekend off work, so after riding it was straight to newspaperland!) ... but here are some tidbits I took away.

DAY 1: Fancy prancing DRESSAGE

Note: There is video somewhere but I don't have it yet. So, you get icky iPhone photos. Sowwy!

Sunrise! Too bad the footing was f-ing frozen.


We were stuck in the tiny indoor since the outdoor footing was frozen, but we all rolled with it and got creative. Here's what we worked on:

* Quarter canter pirouettes (riding a square basically). How many canter strides can you fit in the corner?

* Use your SEAT in the canter. Tuck the tailbone. Lean back a little, quiet upper body.

* Left leg FORWARD. My leg leg is notorious for sliding back. This is because I hang on the left rein. ARGH! I need to stop this obsession with the left rein. It's not special.

* Forward and back (vital to building the ability to maintain the pirouette)

* Couple of flying changes (actually impressed with myself that we did changes in this indoor. It's barely bigger than a 20m circle)

* Developing lift in the trot. Think passage, allow the trot but keep the lift. This is our big homework. This "floaty trot" has to become Hampton's working trot. It has to become his norm. Need to build fitness and strength, but it's in there.

* Control the haunches with the outside rein

Why we prancing so early?


* KEEP REINS SHORT. Honestly someone needs to beat me upside the head. This horrible habit has returned, and even more so in jumping. I keep slipping my reins! Hampton has trained me into "giving" by lengthening my reins. So he really doesn't have to sit, he just lowers his neck. (and up goes his little bottom!)

* Soften with the elbows (no slipping the reins)

* More prompt reaction forward and back!

Other comments:

She is 100% supportive of focusing on 4th level this year. She said PSG is "ABSOLUTELY" in our reach. She was extremely encouraging, and said we should try to compete at shows where there are many horses and riders better than us - because that will make you step up your game.

Hilarious, because there are ALWAYS pairs better than us, no matter the show we go to. But, I get her point. haha.

Then she suggested we come stay with her in Ocala next spring, and shimmy down to Wellington for a show or two.

I asked her how much that would cost and she said "Ocala is cheap." ... I am sure it is, compared to Wellington. And I would love LOVE to spend a few weeks in FL training.

Not Florida.


I am going to crunch numbers and see what I can make happen for next year. But I am not getting my hopes up. I would have to get another part time job at the very least. And even then, I'm not sure I could come up with what is probably $4,000 for the trip. If not more. Has anyone done this? Any advice?

I just need to win the lottery haha.

Overall a very positive dressage ride, despite our less than ideal ring to work in.

After putting Hampton up, I went to watch a few more lessons. And this is when things got interesting.

There was a youngish gal with her adorable Paint cross horse. He was not an easy ride, and had a history of barrel racing as well as pony-ing horses on the track. Which is failed at because he would run off. haha.

Anyway, Lainey got on this pony and it was pretty much one of the finest pieces of riding and methodically training the horse I have ever witnessed. Many clinicians will not get on horses, much less a scrappy, difficult little thing like this Paint.

Things started out a lot like this ....

He tried EVERY evasion in the book to avoid her leg and escape the contact. When those didn't work, he made up his own evasions. Throwing his head around, fish tailing wildly, pacing, racking, hollowing his back, trying to run off, shaking his head. It was impressive.

But Lainey never got mad. She never picked a fight. She kept her leg on, and kept sending him sideways. When he accepted or leg, softened and slowed - he was allowed to go straight.

At the end, she was jog-trotting him on a loose rein. It was quite the transformation. And the horse wasn't tired, he was accepting of the aids. He was finally rideable. I was amazed at what I had just witnessed. And super impressed. I know many horses like this, and people often pick fights, or lunge them to death. It is about accepting the aids. All riding is about accepting the aids.

End result


Next up - jumping day!!! Or, good thing I wore brown breeches. 

A little preview! :)


8 comments:

  1. Ahhhh! This is so exciting! I've heard she's great to clinic with!

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's funny - i guess i never knew Lainey was such a serious dressage rider. i mean, i know she can put in a killer test at an event, but i didn't realize she had such chops for the pure dressage too. regardless, she sounds like an awesome clinician and i really enjoy reading your recaps (and would love even more to live vicariously through you should you decide to go down to ocala next winter haha)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't wait to read more. I'm jealous of thevfacetime you all get with Lainey at your barn!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE this. I would LOVE to clinic with Lainey if she would come to my area! Really, quiet, methodical patience is so important! I saw a clinician get on a similar horse recently, though far less determined in his evasions, and it really was a sight to behold.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My trainer goes to Aiken, SC each winter from Jan-March. It's about $4000 for that (I don't know the breakdowns because I heard that and was like, I'm out! But I believe it's board/care, full training). I know she said Aiken was cheaper than Ocala (she did that several times too). So I'd say the possible $4000 you listed is pretty spot on (depending how much time you're looking at).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Exiting!!! Wow, what an opportunity that would be for both of you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooh, Ocala? Yes please! Sounds like a great lesson - I never knew that she was so awesome at all the dressage things!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for Porkin' and Choppin' with us!