It seems it is really official now. I am now a co-owner of a Skaddlebred with my BFF, L.
So, welcome Royal I Am. He is a 2013 gelding (registered ASB). He doesn't even turn 3 until May, so he is obviously immature and has a lot of growing up to do.
He loaded and hauled like a champ. And unloaded like a perfect gentleman. He was a little nervous in his new surroundings, but he acted exactly like I had expected him to. Just some snorting and prancing around. He was very well behaved when handled. He is super curious, and very colt-like (oral, in your space, etc.).
On the trip home, L and I had a moment of terror concern when we were looking over his papers and they say STALLION. I said to her, "Um, did we check to make sure he is actually a gelding?"
... *crickets * ...
But his Coggins did say gelding and he is, indeed, a gelding. WHEW.
He is staying with L in Indiana for a little while so that he can make the transition from living in a stall, to spending more time outdoors. We want to be sure he is not a social idiot before he comes to KY to live with me, where he will have to face the likes of Hampton.
He will continue to switch back and forth living with each of us. We both have very similar horse care and training philosophies, so I am not worried about confusing him.
Plus, he is a resale project so he will need to be used to different people handling him.
![]() |
| #ohyoufancyhuh |
I'll be driving up once a week to work with him, and L will be working him 2 more times a week. We both agree that as a 3 year old, he only needs to work 3 times a week. Could be riding, lunging or more than likely just getting exposure to the world via hand walking, hacking, ponying, etc. He is a bit of a spook, but can't really blame him. He has zero world experience. Plus, saddlebred.
| NERD |
| He was loving the snow! |
Depending on how broke he is ... he develops, we may take him to a schooling show in the spring and just hand graze him or bop around. I have my eye on the Spycoast Young Horse shows in Lexington (baby behavior is OK there) ... but again he will get to decide if he is ready.
| Say goodbye to that pretty mane! |
I'll admit I had some fleeting moments of:
"OH MY GAWD WHAT DID I DO?!"
and
"THIS IS FINANCIAL SUICIDE!!"
... but L and I are going to make this work. He is too cute and deserves a chance. He was at risk of going to the Amish and I did not want to see that happen.
Royal has a full brother who sold for a preposterous amount of money, by the way.
![]() |
| fresh off the trailer! |
His older brother grew quite tall, and via string test we think Royal may get a full hand taller, meaning he will finish around 16.2.
Right now he is about 15.2, weak and out of shape.
But that is a GOOD thing when you are working with a baby sometimes. We do not want him to get too fit right off the bat. haha.
So welcome to dressage land little guy!



I am so excited to hear about his journey. (Probably a little too excited for an internet stranger). He is so cute.
ReplyDeleteWoohoo! Congrats on the new addition!
ReplyDeleteSo exciting!!!
ReplyDeleteIt is such a small world as I am friends with your friend on FB and Royale is now about 20 minutes away from me! Looking forward to a blogger get together!
ReplyDeleteHahaha, love the video! He's such a cute little guy!
ReplyDeleteCongrats on the handsome new boy! Looks like a fun project :)
ReplyDeleteAhhhh I love himmmmmm
ReplyDeleteHe's super cute. I can't wait to follow your journey with him.
ReplyDeleteQuite a project! I hope you have lots of fun with him. :-)
ReplyDeleteHe's such a good looking guy already! I can't wait to see what he grows into!
ReplyDeleteOh what fun! He is a pretty guy.
ReplyDeleteWELCOME ROYALE!
ReplyDeletePlus, it's super fun to see my childhood barn in winter again. :) <3
Handsome boy!
ReplyDeleteHe is absolutely gorgeous! I love him already. I'm sad he's a resale project because that makes me not want to get attached to him. :(
ReplyDeleteAs young is he is I bet he will get much bigger! My horse was at his full height by three, but he changed so much between three and six. It was crazy.
He's cute!
ReplyDelete