Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Ooops. Now I own a saddlebred.

This is him. NO dressage training, very green. 15.2 and I don't think
I look too big on him?

Those of you who are friends with me n FB may have already read about the leaked news.

My good friend Liz and I went to "just look" at a saddlebred who my old trainers had for sale. He was a total show horse flunk out, and CHEAP.

I should mention his full brother sold for $500,000.

So we made the long drive out to Illinois to see this fellow. He was of course cute right off the bat. I rode him for quite a while, testing him in various ways to see how he would react to pressure, and a rider who was asking him to do things he had no idea about.

He was a very typical, wiggly green baby. (He doesn't even turn 3 until May!). But quite well behaved, very obedient, happy and willing. Even when he got tired, he never got pissy. I was rather impressed with his brain and energy. Here's a short video of some walk and baby trot ...



Of course he has no clue about leg aids, or what outside aids are, or anything really. BUT .. he does have a nice mouth, accepts contact and is quite soft in the neck. He is obviously very weak throughout his body. Which is normal, and to be expected. He's a touch spooky/balky, which doesn't bother me one bit.

So wittle.


But I see some serious dressage and sport horse potential for him. He just isn't a breed show quality. But he will have a career doing something else for sure! Clean legs, sound (but weak). I didn't find any sore spots on him. Friendly in his stall. No health issues, etc.

So we have talked about being co-owners on this little fellow. He is going to need A LOT of time to grow up. And we don't plan to work with him more than 3 days a week. Liz is going to transition him to living more out in the field, and then maybe he will come live with me toward spring where he can learn a little more about life (trail riding, ponying off Hampton, hills, etc).

... It's not 100% official yet ... but .... we all know what happened the last time I went to "just look" at a 2 year old horse ....


21 comments:

  1. Wow, congratulations! That's awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats!! He's really cool! And sounds super sweet and fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is awesome!! Congrats. I have a massive soft spot for Saddlebreds. They can make awesome sport horses (as you know). Does cutie have a name?
    Rebecca (backinthetack.wordpress.com)

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG *squeal* he is too cute. I knew nothing about saddlebreds until I got my guy. But they are characters and I got way too excited about this. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Omg ... squeeeeee! Can't wit for more details. If he flunks out of sport horse school, he caneeds be my trail pony and confuse all of these QH people I am surrounded by!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love Saddlebreds! Great minds, great personalities, and often great athletes. Enjoy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. How exciting!! I can't wait to hear all about him. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. And it is SUCH FUN to see other breeds in the Dressage ring :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awww, he's so cute! Congrads on your new pony!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats! I'm sure you have seen George who is a Louisville local Saddlebred who is so awesome. I'm not even normally a SB fan but after riding him I was being won over. Not for me but I do see the appeal for others :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. He is ADORABLE!!!! He's not even three?? How long have they been riding him???? I hope they haven't ridden him hard. :( Anyway sorry for getting sidetracked. I'm glad you got him (I saw your other post) and I know he will be happy with you! I look forward to following your progress. :D

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for Porkin' and Choppin' with us!