Saturday, March 5, 2016

The Barefoot Experiment

Today


In November I pulled Hampton's shoes for the winter.

Many people were quite supportive, and I got raised eyebrows from others.

And I will admit, I was a little worried for the first 2 weeks. His stride was shorter, he was a bit tender especially on rocks and pavement. But I stuck it out - helping him with Magic Cushion and hoof hardener. And after almost a month, you never would have known he wore shoes for a year and a half before that.

His feet never cracked, never broke up much.

I felt like he was much more sure-footed especially on trail rides. It was almost as if I could feel the ground beneath him. No more slipping on the road. I never worried about the mud. He self maintained quite well, only needing to be rounded off a couple of times. His work never suffered. Plus, I saved some serious money.

While I know it's not possible to try this with all horses, for Hampton I consider this a major success. I plan on pulling his shoes every winter. The nail holes grew out, and his feet expanded.

But, show season is rapidly approaching. So he has 4 new sneakers now. And his feet look FANTASTIC. He has never had bad feet to begin with but I'm just pleased with how nice they look now. And balanced. He is happy to have them back on, for sure. And I think it is only fair for him to wear shoes with the level of work he is doing this year, and you just never know what footing you will encounter at shows.

Previously unpublished photo of a tired (barefoot!) Hampton,
myself and Lainey Ashker.


But come October or November, off they come again.

Unless of course, we go to Florida. (plans still in the works!)

More updates to come on Hamps and Royale! Both boys are great, although this week has not been productive because rain. Then snow. Then more rain. And storms.

Spring is almost here though!

12 comments:

  1. Way to take the barefoot plunge! I have found that using Easyboots or Cavallo Boots during the transitional first few weeks after you first pull the shoes helps them from feeling so ouchy (and they last several seasons!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carmen came barefoot but her feet started to break apart here. Not sure why, so I put shoes on her. We pulled them the beginning of this winter and she's doing terrific, the farrier was quite happy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Going to FL for the winter??? That sounds pretty sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for you for trying it! I think it makes their hooves so much healthier to take the occasional break from shoes. His hooves do look great! Looking forward to hearing how Royale is doing too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like the experiment was a success! Florida sounds pretty nice right about now :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad the barefoot worked out!! One of my mares have been barefoot her whole life and my farrier always comments on how good her hooves are.

    ReplyDelete
  7. There's been some research on how horses feel the ground with their feet - it's fascinating. I've definitely felt that horses are much more sure-footed barefoot than when they are shod. I'm glad Hampton's feet enjoyed their winter off, and boy do they look great now!

    What is this Florida thing you speak of? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. awesome that the experiment worked out so well!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mine are all barefoot, even for show season. It's never been a problem, although I do avoid going to shows with crappy footing. I'd do that even if they had shoes, though. Spider even Hunter Paces barefoot over all kinds of terrain and he's fine, but he's been barefoot for 6 years now. Jack may need shoes when he starts moving up the levels, but for now he's fine. His feet were a wreck when I got him, being barefoot has fixed them right up. It's really the best thing for fixing bad feet, but it does take time and patience.

    ReplyDelete
  10. If a horse has to wear shoes I think it is so important for them to get a break during the off season. All of the people at the barn where I used to work (and still hang out) do that and it makes a huge difference in hoof health. I'm glad it worked out so well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I know a lot of people who pull shoes for the winter. I wish my pony could handle that but alas... it is not to be!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for Porkin' and Choppin' with us!