![]() |
| Wittle baby Hamper. |
In the midst of trying to move in 7 days and every cotton-pickin' stressful thing that goes with that (seriously I am so tired I want to cry ... hate that feeling), I have been riding the creature.
In fact I squeezed in a lesson Friday since I don't know when or who I will be taking lessons from in Kentuckeh.
Hampton, who looks like a legit sporthorse now, shows up to the lesson and works his ass off for me like a Second Level horse! He made me so proud — especially when the other boarders would stop at the gate to watch and "ooohh" and "ahhh" at Hampton and his awesomeness. :)
![]() |
| CAF Spring 2011 |
Here's what we did today.
• Shoulder in and haunches in. Haunches-in needs to be more prompt and more fluid, but the understanding is there. Needs polish.
• First level test 3 canter tour. I was trying to do too much shoulder-fore in the lengthening. Just ride straight. Canter loop goes well if I ride it correctly. Our indoor is way smaller than a dressage ring so I really had to ride the corners for the loop. The actual show ring should be easier and not so steep. 15 meter canter circle and change of lead through the trot no problem.
• First level test 3 trot work. Leg yielding, lengthenings. Leg yields were a little crooked at times - probably because I did not have enough outside rein half halt. Needs more swing, less bend in the neck. Stay uphill in lengthenings.
• Walk canter. Canter walk transitions. Canter to walk has improved SO much. I just need to make sure the hind legs walk first and not the front legs. So, canter .. collected canter ... SUPER collected canter ... then walk. At this point, while he is still learning these a bit, it is better to have him come a little above the bit, but sit down on his haunches, than stay round and dive into the walk. A good way to develop collected canter is canter for 4 strides, walk. Rinse, repeat. After a few of these exercises, I thought Hampton was going to start to piaffe on me. This really gets the horse obedient to the leg and active behind. If one of us actually knew what we were doing in regards to piaffe, I could have just asked for it and it would have been there. Blamo!
• Turn on the haunches. Start in haunches-in, then turn the shoulders with the outside rein. I have trouble keeping the bend, but for now that is ok as long as he is stepping UNDER and not OUT through the turn. This movement at the trot creates half steps.
Other than a major spook (it was legit, there was some rodent that was scurrying about behind a wall) ... he was such an amazing horse today.
Next week we are going to do some work in hand with him and hopefully one more lesson before he moves to his new home.
Meanwhile, I'm trying to pack and get my life organized and still have some fun with friends before I leave. I guess I can sleep later?
Annnnd I still don't (officially) have a place to live. Eeep.


I feel for you re the moving thing. Did it in October and I'm hoping that was the last time. SO draining.
ReplyDeleteYour move to Kentucky is very exciting! Should be lots of excellent horse resources available there. Find a roomy place to live - people will probably want to visit you there in horse heaven! ;)
Precious picture of baby Hampton.
It's a crazy life. Hang in there! :-D
ReplyDelete