Sunday, August 7, 2011

New balance

I don't have to work on Tuesday so like any normal person would do, I promptly scheduled a riding lesson. But this time, we are going to an eventing instructor for Hampton's formal intro to jumping. Yay! 

Oh wait.

This means I will need to ride in my jumping saddle.

I have not ridden in that saddle in 2 years (I started Hampton in that saddle and put about 3 rides on him with it before switching to my dressage saddle). Even worse, I have not ridden in the hunter/jumper balance in close to 7 years. And that become obvious today.

It really is a totally different balance between dressage and jumperland. I have been riding only dressage for so long, that I felt unbalanced and sloppy when I rode today. I decided it might do me some good to ride as much as I could in 2-point. Take that floppy lower leg! 

Hampton thought I was drunk. He kept slowing down as if to check on me as I tried to stay balanced, all the while grabbing mane and the running martingale. 

Things got a little better as time went on, but ladies and gents it did not come back to me like riding a bike. I rode hunter/jumpers for many years and gosh in college you could send me to a 3' - 3'3" jump and I would think no big deal. Now a days, I might trot up to a 2'3" fence and crap myself. What happened? Lack of practice? Self preservation?  

So I look at it as a very good thing that Hampton is so young and just starting out. Because this means I also get to go back to basics. And I can just use him as an excuse as to why I will be entering all the green as grass classes. NOT because I am rusty and a chicken. No it's because my horse is young. Duh!

6 comments:

  1. I love the line "trot up to 2'3" fence and crap myself." Made me laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it's definitely Haptons greenness *wink wink*.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have fun jumping!! =D
    Stop over at my blog sometime! http://anonymousjumpforjoy.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. 'Young horse' is a great strategy. Whenever fence height comes up I refer to Nina as 'green' and ignore her age. :-)
    Have a blast at your lesson.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Too funny. Enjoy your lesson - I'm sure it will come back to you. Meanwhile, blaming the horse is a good strategy ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Isn't it funny? I went from hunters to dressage...and then when I sat in a close contact saddle that was really "made" for me and my horse, it was like coming home. Enjoy this time with Hampton, I bet he will loooove jumping:)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for Porkin' and Choppin' with us!