Monday, August 22, 2011

Don't be scared, it's only love that we're falling in.

Don't be scared, it's only love mud that we're falling in.


Or, in which Hampton and I fall and go boom.


Prologue
After the quirky Indiana weather quit being a bitch on Sunday, we packed up 3 horses and 3 people andand headed up north to hit the trails. Unlike the last park we went to a few months ago, which was was 
sandy, and flat, these trails were not for the ball-less.
Hampton was kept quite busy by constantly staying challenged with obstacles such as logs, branches, 
rocks, hills, trees and questionable footing. Oh and many branches to snack on.
Our 3 ponies were great the entire time and not one is exactly an experienced trail horse.
At one point we arrived at a small river. I was really looking forward to playing in the water.
We came down a very very small hill, hardly muddy ... I had my eyes on that river ...


Uh oh
I felt Hampton's feet go out from underneath him and it was almost in that split 
second like he knew it too and decided "Oh hell I'll just lie down and save the both of us." 
He went down in slow motion and then I hit the dirt mud. He rolled gently 
onto my right ankle and leg, but thanks to the soft mud no harm was done.


He got up just as calmly and slowly as he went down. I was worried he may have
hurt himself, but he seemed fine. I was fine. He seemed totally unphased by it.
(No one has fallen off of him before). So off to the river we went.


Back on 4 feet and in the river.




Other than the one "incident" things went really well. Although I did have to
dismount and lead Hampton down one particularly nasty, muddy hill. 
I felt his confidence waver and I trusted his opinion and decided that if I needed
to let go of him and let him find his own, safe way down, so be it. But he did
fine. I got my boots muddy but such is life.


No gators in here? You sure mum?




We crossed creeks, walked in a creek bed, up and down hills, over logs, under 
logs, crossed the river, and picked our way through what seemed like areas
where there really was no trail. It was certainly my idea of a good time! I know
we had 3 tired ponies at the end of the day. I was proud of all of them.


It was a good practice run for the overnight trail ride we'll be going to
in mid-September.


Oh and I didn't take many photos because I was too busy 
1) drinking a beer or
2) hanging on for dear life


As for the rest of this week, Hampton deserves a day or 2 off. Then the chiro
comes on Thursday. Plus the farrier. 


I have show entries to do. Later gators!


All my favorites in one photo.


7 comments:

  1. congratulations on such a successful outing! He's a wonderful horse!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how casual you are about the whole thing. Haha. Great photos :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't have many pictures from trail riding with my old horse for the same reason you didn't get many. My all time favorite reason to not take pictures on horse back is that we were too busy playing tag!

    I wanna go trail riding...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lol... I went down with a horse one time, but it was not the gentle descent you describe. Glad you're both ok and none the worse for the experience.

    Hampy is such a trooper.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Trail riding is so much fun! Miss being able to hop on my horses & just go wherever.
    Heh....I signed up to take my first Dressage lesson next week. I ran across this Grand Prix riding facility here in FL, stopped in to ask if they did lessons, and they said they would. Met the horse I will be riding and she is trained for Level III. Super excited to be taking my first ever Dressage lesson!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like you had super fun!
    Glad you were both okay after the fall though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow I totally missed this post somehow. Sounds pretty eventful!! Where did you go? We never did trail ride this season. We still should! Where are you going over night? I was thinking of doing the brown county thing.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for Porkin' and Choppin' with us!