Monday, June 13, 2011

Our Walk-trot debut. :)

I guess with all the horse show drama I forgot to mention how our actual classes went. :) Ooops.

So, I entered two walk-trot classes. Mostly because I did not feel comfortable cantering Hampton on straight lines when I knew he would be nervous and tense. I like to set myself up for success and not for disaster.



Anyway, the first class had 22 entries. The ring was large enough to fit that amount of horses, but it was still chaotic. I kept Hampton on the inside track most of the time. We were the only horse and rider of sport horse type there. Everyone else rode Wenglish ... or rather, they put English tack on their peanut-roller Western horses. And the judge rewarded those horses with low headsets, and slow trots. (and riders that ride with their fingers open. omg!! pet peeve) Hampton and I were far, far from what that judge wanted. lol. No ribbon for us. But I was pleased that nothing went wrong, and Hampton handled the traffic and crowds with much maturity.

The second class was about the same - 17 entries. Hampton was much more relaxed and I was able to let him have a bit more stride this time. His was more quiet with his mouth and again handled everything like a champ. No ribbon for us. Shucks! But I was not about to force myself or my horse into something we are not, just for a chance at a little ribbon. I was frankly loving the fact that he was keeping his poll up so nicely for me! Screw the judge. lol!

So this weekend we are going to another open show - only because our barn is hosting it! :) I think I am going to be silly and enter a halter class, and maybe egg and spoon. Poor Hampton, he certainly does not live the posh life of a typical dressage horse. lol.

4 comments:

  1. It's all good training and experience.
    My barn is full of people who do the breed shows and the Wenglish thing (good name!). I have never understood changing the tack and nothing else...but it's not my world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats !!! *giggle* Wenglish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a smart idea to take Hampton to open shows for experience. He'll be bomb proof! Thank heavens you don't fit the wenglish mold. I witnesses this for the first time recently - very strange.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can't stand that "wenglish" crap. And the silly teacup hands too lol!

    Hampton deserves a ribbon for being such a sensible, levelheaded young fellow. Great job at your practice show!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for Porkin' and Choppin' with us!