I think a show at your own barn has advantages and disadvantages. Hampton was wound up as his environment changed and 30+ rigs pulled in with new horses. I tied him to my trailer for the experience and he spent most of the time pawing, screaming and wiggling around. I was half temped to leave him stand there all day but decided maybe a 90 degree day was a little mean to do that. So after our halter class, I gave him a stall to chill in.
Halter
So I've never actually show in a halter class at an open show before so I sort of winged it. Hampton thought it was THE. DUMBEST. THING. EVER. and refused to stand still. He also kept trying to eat the reins, my coat and my boob. He was so bored. lol. But we did managed a 3rd place out of 5. Oh boy.
| Trying to pull off the hunter look. |
Hunter under saddle
Meh. The creature was still a bit wound and did ok until the second direction canter when OH MY GOD there is a tent on the side of the arena that was not there yesterday! We did a lovely canter side pass down the side of the rail. Really Hampton? 5th out of 5.
Hunter hack
This is where you jump 2 jumps and then do rail work. So we trotted the first jump and he popped over it like a little champ! (and um we haven't schooled any jumps in a month?) And SOMEONE (like the rider) did not ride the second jump and therefore Hampton got unsure and stopped. Doh! Circled back around and he jumped it. Totally my fault! Rail work went much better and I was proud of him for being so game about the whole thing.
And we did pretty well during egg and spoon, too. Coming in 2nd or 3rd (it was sort of unclear who dropped their egg first). :)
Good job. Rogo (my horse) gets more freaked out by something new / out of place at home, than in a new place where everything is new - therefore the tent would have undone him too. I suppose most horses are like that.
ReplyDeleteYou're so smart to be giving Hampton all these new experiences. I need to remember to do this more.
Love the smile in that last photo.
ReplyDeleteJudging by your description of the halter class, you should have videoed it. You took third out of five - the other two must have been hysterical.
ReplyDeleteSounds like a fun day. We are doing our in house schooling show next weekend.
Based on the smile you had fun = most important.
ReplyDeleteIt sounds like you had a pretty good time with Hampton at the open show! I think he looks great as a hunter :)
ReplyDelete