Tuesday, June 14, 2011
The horseh needs more junk in the trunk
Hampton has been enjoying a few days off. He has certainly earned it. Plus, he is starting to get a little thin on me again (UGH!!) so I am reevaluating. I purchased wormer and will continue to keep him on U-Guard. I thought that he would plump up with all the time they have been getting on grass lately, but he hasn't. So I'm adding rice bran and alfalfa cubes back into his diet and see if that gets us anywhere. If not, I may have to give him a course of Gastoguard. I plan to have a fecal done to see if maybe worms are the issue. Orrrr ... he could be growing again and with his high metabolism, it's just tough to keep up with. Who knows. He's not skinny, but just getting that rangy thin look. He's also very fit and working pretty hard so he may just need more calories. We'll get it figured out.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Ok I am going to totally promote progressive nutrition...lol...but that is because I have had success after so much headache over weight issues. I am very proud of the way Steady looks now and it is amazing how little you actually feed of this stuff. But you are so smart I am sure you got it under control :)
ReplyDeleteI would talk to Pennfields feed.
ReplyDeleteI've had a lot of luck with them designing a program for my young guy who came off a hard winter underweight. In about three weeks into it, he gained about 150lbs, and put on two inches of height, there's also a definite change in the mare as well.
Thank you ladies! I am going to look into those feeds and a few others and see what sort of program I can figure out. :)
ReplyDeleteDontcha loooove hard keepers? Sigh...Miles just started Tribute feeds Kalm and Eazy and Essential K (a ration balancer) so I hope that helps him. I really like everything I've read about the feed. Good luck with your Slim (who still looks pretty good:)
ReplyDeletewhat about good old Beet pulp? I use it but only as a vehicle for other meds, etc BUT my friend who events and rehabs TB's swears by it for helping gain weight and maintaining w/o changing their metabolic system. Just soak to their liking, trial and error will show you what he'll like.
ReplyDelete