Thursday, June 23, 2011

Kick in the butt (mine)

Finally got a lesson in last night. It's been a while and we both needed the kick in the pants - especially me. I have been way too nice to the horse and have been letting him get away with trotting around underpowered. He's so big and tall that it FEELS like I'm going the speed I need to, because he cover so much ground. When in fact, he is slothing around with his hind legs dragging behind him.

After a few times of "BOTH LEGS: KICK!!" ... holy friggin cow I had a different creature underneath me. Once we had the forward, there was an instant, solid, true connection. His hocks and stifles were flexing (and sweating!). Bending became easier. Leg yields went from somewhat shuffle-shuffle to DANCING across the arena. I was smiling and giggling much of the time. The horse is talented - I just have to ask for it! 

We also worked on cantered for short distances (4-5 strides) .. then HALT. Back, trot off. This helped lower his croup and forced me to keep him packaged. He needs work on the rein back as he is sluggish and tends to back laterally, instead of diagonal pairs. I think he just doesn't understand it yet.

Here's the bad news.

It's time for a new saddle.

Let's all groan together shall we?!?

1) It's too small for me. J (my awesome instructor) had be halt and lift my knees to my chest, then put them back down. THAT is the position I should be riding in. Yup, I felt that my seat bones were more IN the saddle, instead of ON it. BUT my ... um ... crotch was put too far on the pommel. I need a bigger seat. I mean the saddle is fantastic for riding naughty horses and youngsters in (it's a Wintec and you stick quite well to it. Almost too well). But now that we are  beyond that, and are really started to finesse things, I need to be able to use my seat more in the correct way. 

I'm not going to go out shopping right away. (Because I'm poor). But it's time to start thinking about it.

Maybe a brand new County Perfection will drop from the sky?

Come to Mommy!!



3 comments:

  1. I will send good thoughts for a new County magically landing on your lap :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Contact Sara Ivie (county saddle rep in your woods), they're having a demo thing going on and may have something from her clients.

    Plus developing a baseline for the beast is really important as well.

    Tell her I said hey.

    ReplyDelete
  3. nothing like a kick in the butt is there? I am soo overdue for one of those.

    I hear you on the saddle. I actually settled on a not-too-expensive Thornhill Dressage Saddle. Well made and reasonably priced. I had a friend who had one, it fit my horse and me perfectly (she let me use it for a week) so I was able to order it to match the size.

    good luck!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for Porkin' and Choppin' with us!