Friday, June 10, 2011

Don't take another step. Don't blame it on yourself.

Last night's ride was the stuff dreams are made of! It was finally cool and we managed a good hour riding before a storm rolled in.

Hampton, winter 2010.
The warm-up started off a little disheartening. I could feel his right hind was stiff. But after 5 minutes of warming up on straight lines, he had worked out of it. I started to add circles and serpentines and before I knew it - my horse was right there for me! Holy cow, on the aids, on the bit, poll up, forward, rhythm and relaxed! It's that feeling you get when your horse is ON and you just want to sit there for a few strides, do nothing, and enjoy the moment.

Here's what we worked on last night:
• Shoulder-in. Sharp, good angle, forward, round. This movement has improved SO MUCH the past 2 months or so.
• Leg yields
• Transitions *yawn*
• Asking for some engagement (squeeze and hold, wait for the hind end to come under)
• Haunches in at the walk. He is FINALLY starting to get this! Going to left, it's pretty good. The right direction is more difficult, which I expected.

Then I thought: "Should I canter? What if it sucks? Then I will be so bummed."

But I cantered anyway and it was ... heavenly. Both leads. So much so that I course I pushed the envelope and did some counter canter. He only lost his balance once and broke. And frankly that was probably my fault. We did a few walk-canter transitions, too. I was glad to see that they are still there. Also, Hampton is technically not even 4 years old yet (his birthday is June 20). I am SO PROUD of what we have accomplished so far. I shouldn't get so bummed over some minor issues.

The key to the heavenly canter is a relaxed and swinging back (duh). He gets wonky and lateral when his back is tight. And yes the tight back may be caused my something going on in that right leg. But I know now that it isn't his real way of going. It isn't my fault as a rider (well, not totally). I just need to get that back relaxed and we will be golden.

2 comments:

  1. I love it when thta happens! Seems I haven't had one of those rides in a long time, but I know what you mean. I think the really nice warm up and shoulder in work that you did may have contributed to the nice swinging back. I find Rogo works better after this. Your and Hampton's work is so impressive for a not quite 4 year old.

    ReplyDelete
  2. SUCH a nice horse at such a young age! You have a superstar on your hands;)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for Porkin' and Choppin' with us!