I've been reading a lot of blogs where horse owners are using sidepulls or hackamores on their horses. I've been sort of half-assed shopping around for a sidepull/hackamore for Hampton recently.
Horse.com had some good selections.
We would continue to use his fat french link for dressage work and shows, but I'd really like a sidepull for trail rides and maybe even jumping. I know he would be fine in it because he steers and stops just fine in a halter and lead rope.
Any suggestions? Any recommendations?
I love my jumping hackamore! Some of the bitless configurations can be a bit annoying since they don't immediately release pressure when you soften.
ReplyDeleteI use a Buckaroo Leather sidepull, beautiful but expensive- you get what you pay for.
ReplyDeleteIn sidepulls the material of the noseband is very important. The rope nosebands have quite a bit of bite. Ropes with knots have a bit of bite too. Mine has a leather noseband which I think works just fine.
You can also buy a jumping cavesson that you just attach to one of your regular bridles. It works like a sidepull.
I've heard a lot from people that love the cross-under types of bitless and I've heard from people who hate them because they don't give a release. Depends on you and your horse I guess.
Be careful with hackamores, they can put a LOT of pressure under the chin and can cause head throwing if they aren't used judiciously.
I tried a Dr. Cooks Bitless Bridle on Lucy and it was a very unpleasant experience. She hated it. I tried to introduce her to it very gradually, but she hated the pressure under her jaw and ended up rearing up very high to try and get away from it. She has never done that in a regular bridle/bit, so we ditched the bitless idea and she's back in a regular bridle.
ReplyDeleteI loooove our Dr. Cooks, but they're not for everyone. I also like this hackamore:
ReplyDeletehttp://www.horse.com/item/cp-fleece-lined-hackamore/SLT731329/
However, I replaced the chain on it since I felt it was a little too tight. I still use this hackamore for trail rides, and I would definitely use it if we ever did like a hunter pace or something. The Dr. Cook's is the only thing I'll ever use for arena work again though:)
I did a whole post on bitless options a while ago - it's on my sidebar under favorite posts.
ReplyDeleteI just moved Bonnie from a french link snaffle to a Dr. Cooks type bitless. Her and I both love it! She is so relaxed her bottom lip flops when she trots.
ReplyDelete