I rode Hampton Monday evening and it was still sweltering hot and humid. Thankfully, he handles the heat WAY better than I do. He is all Thoroughbred about it. He can be dripping wet with sweat and look at me like "What? I'm not hot!" and still have plenty of gas in the tank. Monday evening's ride was just that. In fact, I think he may have had even more energy at the end of our ride than at the beginning. I eventually had to call it quits before I started getting woozy.
I would do a few minutes of work, then take a walk break (more for my benefit, he was hardly even breathing hard). Here is what we worked on:
• Tons of circles and serpentines. Make smooth changes of bend. Inside leg to outside rein.
• Trot - almost walk - trot transitions. Working on shortening the stride, compressing the body, then springing forward. Great for body building and quickness to the aids.
• Half steps (trot, collect, turn on the haunches while trotting produces cute half steps from the horseh)
• Shoulder-in. Both directions. These are sharp and show quality now. Too bad the rest of second level isn't anywhere near show ready. lol. We even do shoulder in on the quarter line.
• Canter work. Right lead was nice - very bounding and forward. Somewhat croup-high. Left lead went back and forth. Had moments of rhythm, then moments of a tight back and lateral tendency.
• Lengthen the canter
• Change direction at the canter with simple change of lead through the trot. Need crisper transitions, but the leads are reliable.
• Stretchy circle work to finish out the day. Lovely stretching.
Overall a very productive day! He did spend quite a bit of time chomping on the bit. (no teeth grinding, thankfully) I can't quite determine if this is a nervous thing (ulcers?) or a good thing. He had excellent "lipstick" at the end of the ride. I rarely have to even work at keeping his poll up anymore. That has become muscle memory for him.
I need to schedule another lesson but I've been so broke lately. Ah well, soon!
Hope everyone is staying cool and hydrated.

The work you're doing sounds great. But...sooooo hooooot......I feel proud of myself these days if we work at all three gaits:)
ReplyDelete