For a while now we have been tinkering on that line between still unbalanced, gangly 3-year-old to a more sophisticated 4-year-old. Well today we crossed the line.
My instructor said Hampton was the best she had ever seen him today. He was beyond brilliant and was trying. so. hard. for me. "Worthy of tears," my instructor said of our ride. :)
![]() |
| Yes it was as fun as it looks! |
His canter was uphill, rhythmical. Transitions were crisp, round. I mean LOOK at the above photo? I can hardly believe it is my Hampton! Oh yeah, for comparison here was our canter one year ago:
![]() |
| EW! Crooked, leaning, out of balance and WTF with my foot? |
We did work on making the leg yields more electric. Here's something new I learned. Say you want to leg yield to the right. Once your horse is sharp off your left leg (using spurs and whip if needed), then switch your whip to your right hand. As you leg yield, tap tap with the left leg AND tickle with the whip as a driving aid. This makes the horse really snap BOTH hind legs and develop a much straighter, sharper leg yield.
We also worked a bit on developing his trot lengthenings. He needs to learn how to put his front legs out in front of him a little more. So a few of our tries ended up more on the forehand than I prefer. Like this:
But that's ok for now. He's still in the developmental stage. :) Here is our working trot:
He was so uphill and supple today. He rode like a well-trained horse and also looked like one. This horse makes me look forward to seeing him every single day. Riding him is how riding is supposed to be - fun, challenging and rewarding. Looking back a year ago ... here was our trot:
Hard work DOES pay off! He was my Totilas today. THESE are the days we all hope and work towards. When your horse gives you 100% and is right there for you. My instructor said if I rode like I did today, we'd easily hit 70% at training level. That's assuming I don't mess up the test or have any other "situations." Uh, easier said than done. :)
![]() |
| March 22, 2011 |







Congrats on your super amazing day! So proud of you both =]
ReplyDeleteAwww, that's awesome to hear! Hampton looks fabulous in that first photo, and the look on your face says that you're having a blast! Congratulations, it seems as though your and Hampton's hard work is paying off.
ReplyDeleteP.S. I am totally jealous of your long skinny minnie riding legs! UGH! LOL, mine look like short, fat stumps.
Ooooh lovely canter pic at the top. That is what dreams are made of :)
ReplyDeleteWow, the before/after pics are great!! I can't wait to hear how you do at the show :D
ReplyDeleteAmazing!!! You guys look awesome! He looks like a new horse! So happy for you!
ReplyDeleteThat canter is to die for! Congrats :)
ReplyDelete