Monday, March 14, 2011

A little sumthin'

Hampton's eye looked so much better today. The swelling is almost totally gone and there wasn't any discharge today. He has a few more days of bute and ointment and I think we'll be in the clear. He's also wearing a flymask for added protection. If the eye still looks good tomorrow, I don't see any reason not to ride him. But then again, it's supposed to rain. Of course.

Tired poneh
So while Hampton was chowing down, I rode Baxter. Boy was he fun today! I worked on shoulder in and some half pass, but I think I'm doing something wrong on the left rein. When I put my inside leg back (for shoulder in), he swings his haunches in. Maybe I am still weighting my right seat bone too much? Also worked a little at the canter. Did some walk-canter transitions and worked on keeping the canter uphill and slow.

He's not nearly as fit as Hampton, so by the end of 30 minutes he was breathing pretty hard. Poor guy. :)

Zippy was also good today. He has starting working in side reins and learning all about contact. Under saddle he wanted to argue a bit and seemed to think turning his head upside down was fun. Ugh. But after a while, he was going round and soft and I was really quite pleased with him. He doesn't have the best neck for dressage work - it's sort of connects really low - but he's trying.

Still on the hunt for a new trailer. It's one of those "right time, right place" things when looking for a good used one. Shouldn't be too much longer, tho. I'd love to hit up the April show at Come Again Farm and take both Hamper and Baxter. That's a big maybe at this point. May is Harmony in the Park in Edinburgh - which would be our first rated show of the season. I was aiming for the 4 year old test there ... but I'm not sure Hampton is ready. It's no big deal if we just stick to training level.

Of course all my plans could go right out the window if my job situation changes. eeeps.

(also, it'd be really awesome if some of my readers would click on my google or Amazon ads so a poor horse-lovin' gal can make a little extra cash ... yeah, I'm shameless)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for Porkin' and Choppin' with us!