Monday, November 29, 2010

Horse shows are not won in June

They are won in December, January and February.

Lady, what do I look like? A jungle gym?
Uh, so that's what I keep telling myself as the weather gets colder. And colder. Sunday I rode at about 10 a.m. and both arenas were still frozen. So, not the best footing. Hampton was a bit short strided and because we were both bundled up (me in my thick winter jacket and breeches, and him in his quarter sheet) ... we couldn't really "feel" each other and so it was mostly just a hack. No real work accomplished.

Today was much better. Yay for nice 50-degree days. Hampton was a bit fresh (as evidenced by a few bolts on the lunge line) but it was good because it made him very forward and responsive. Worked on trot-walk-trot transitions, then walk-canter. They were about the same as last time. As in, maybe 60% success rate. I either screw up and he ends up trotting off, or he LAUNCHES into the canter. Which I don't punish him for because hey, at least he's sitting and pushing off. lol. We did have several nice transitions in both directions. Then we worked on leg yields - making them steeper. Leg yielding right was great, to the left needs a bit more work. He gets somewhat above the bit. I suspect I'm taking up too much contact. Need to work on that.

More of the same planned for tomorrow with some shoulder-in thrown in. I'm thinking just a lunging day for Wednesday and then we have a lesson on Thursday. That will set us up great for a day off on Friday .. then I'll ride one day this weekend. Depending on the weather.

1 comment:

  1. I took advantage of the day in the 50's today too. The rain and cold is on it's way though. No indoor so we will not be riding tomorrow. 25 tomorrow night, brrrr. Enjoy your rides!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for Porkin' and Choppin' with us!