Monday, September 27, 2010

Give me a break.

Hampton in July 2009. 2 years old. Awww.
I gave Hampton the last week off because 1) I felt he was a little muscle sore, especially in his back. 2) I was super busy with a test for school and an interview at a small animal clinic and 3) He deserved a mini vacation.

So Sunday I hopped back on and had an OK ride. There was some sucking back, not responding to my aids, pretending like he forgot what the canter aids were, more sucking back ... then he got spanked a few times ... head tossing ensued ... ugh. Of course these rare "difficult" moments always happen when someone else is in the ring with there totally quiet schoolmaster and here I am flying around the ring, growling and striping my horse's butt.

Today's ride was 100% better. Relaxed, swinging, obedient and responsive. Ahhhh. Did some work on the canter loop from First 4. It's pretty good, although sometimes he does lose his balance in the middle and comes a bit above the bit. I'm not too worried, it just takes practice. As it stands right now, that movement is WAY WAY better than I ever got T-Bone to do. Worked a bit on shoulder-in as well and that is coming along. It still takes me several strides to develop it though. I try not to overbend him in the neck, and then sometimes he thinks he should come off the rail, so I use more inside leg and then he leg yields back over and then I lose the shoulders ... blah blah. Eventually we get some good strides in after we both get sorted out. lol.

Tomorrow I think a little work in the ring and then out to the pasture to do hills. I may try a video blog. We'll see.

Other than that - I've been glued to my computer watching the WEGS!

1 comment:

  1. cant i just say how jealous i am of how well you and hampton are doing. i've given up on even attempting to canter or get Granite on the bit-- we are working on "go forward" for the time being... at least our trot transitions have substantially improved.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for Porkin' and Choppin' with us!