Wednesday, September 29, 2010

I say jump, he says "How high?"

Cantering along!
After Monday's lovely ride, I decided yesterday would be a lunge-only day. But I shook things up (whoa look out!) and snuck out to the pasture with hills and found a decent spot to lunge there. Figured we could both enjoy the lovely weather and dust-free outdoors, compared to the barn which leaves me hacking and coughing from the dust. We aren't allowed to water down the aisles so ... suffer we must. (The arena gets watered a few times a week, thankfully).

Trrrrrrot!
The grass is really long which made Hampton pick up his legs pretty high - thus making him look fantastic! I had to smile ... then wish I could make him trot like that normally. *sigh* Lunged him up and down very small hills. Then, at the end I took the side reins off and decided to see if he would jump the log on the ground. It's a fallen tree that is just about perfect for a little cross country jump. The middle still needs cleaned up to be safe, but the ends are fine. I set myself up to lunge the horse over the higher end (it's probably about 2 feet), clucked - and off he went! Jumped it like a champ! I laughed and stopped him and walked back to the barn. Guess I don't have to worry about jumping small logs on trails. No problem there. lol. Maybe in a few weeks I'll grow a pair and jump him over it under saddle.

He got today off with some extra hand grazing and time wearing his new magnetic hock boots. Tomorrow I'll probably be stuck indoors because it's supposed to be rainy and windy I think ... so groundpoles it is!

... and here is a cute photo of my two cats. Grover (belly up) and Simon.

Does anyone have suggestions for dealing with a kitty who poops on the floor on a consistent basis? I won't name which one it is but his initials are SIMON! Yes, he's diabetic. He's been to the vet, glucose levels good. Checked out otherwise healthy. But I clean up his poop nearly everyday. (He does pee in the litter box, THANK YOU LORD!). I've changed litter brands. I've tried liners. I bought HUGE litterboxes. Not sure what to do? I really like the cat but it's becoming a real P.I.T.A.



4 comments:

  1. great post! that is one very good looking horse you have there :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. try feeding him where he goes. Solved our problem fairly easily as well.

    Also try having multiple litter boxes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hampton looks so handsome - it sounds like you had a fun ride!

    I wish I had some good advice for your little pooper...good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Multiple litter boxes has alwasys solved for my parents! Multiple locations sometimes helps too.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for Porkin' and Choppin' with us!