Wednesday, May 10, 2023

... now what?

PC: Lisa Dean
After a clean GP test!

First and foremost, get yourself a group of friends who throw you a Surprise Gold Medal Party, complete with cupcakes, booze and A CROWN OF TEARS.

... and now that I have accomplished literally every dream and additional dreams I never knew I had ...

Now what?

Several peeps have asked, "What's next?" and the answer is I really don't know. Hamp and I have remained busy though. He is staying QUITE fit with swimming, trail rides, and 3-4 days of work in the arena. He has felt energetic, happy and strong.

Did a PR of 19 laps last week. 

I think we did close to 8 miles on the trail this day.

I have many options on where to go next. My brain goes back and forth daily to be honest.

1. Sell Hampton, buy a NICE young horse. Have a savings account. Buy a truck?

2. Keep Hampton, lease him out. Buy an average young horse.

3. Keep Hampton, let him teach lessons. Try and see if I can afford a very cheap second horse.

4. Keep Hampton and Hampton only.

PC: Leah

There are pros and cons to each option. Money is of course a major factor. Having two horses does not double your expenses, it TRIPLES expenses if not more.

 If money wasn't an issue I would of course opt to keep Hamp (He can teach lessons and whatnot), AND buy a decent young horse. (weanling? yearling?). 

Hampton feels great and is not showing any signs he wants to retire. And honestly, the more he works and moves, the better his soundness and body feel. He will be 16 this year and is in probably in the best shape of his life. The other option is to retire him somewhere, but he has so much to teach people and other young horses. 


Leah and me: You are the goodest boi!
Hamp: Where's my cookie.
PC: Renate

My brain and heart fight each other on whether or not to sell him. I have TRIED selling him a couple of times. I didn't try very hard, but I TRIED. 

But, there's no rush into any decision. Meanwhile, we will keep on training and maybe hit a show or two. Maybe eye regionals? 

I still have much to learn, so there is that. 



8 comments:

  1. Do NOT sell Hampton!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Teach with Hampton (while saving for a youngster) and work on your GP freestyle?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. In your page from 2012 about Hamp you said this:
    "Goals:
    Above all else, I want to be fair to my horse. He comes first."

    His is your partner and earned you a gold medal. I know some people see horses as a business and separate from emotions or feelings involving horses.

    He has years left in him and can teach, but if you sell him you don't have control over what quality of life he has. This horse earned a USDF gold medal, just remembered that please.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. An anonymous comment like this is pretty immature…if you’re going to be critical of someone, at least have the balls to sign your name. Karen is exceptionally responsible as a horse owner. Hampton’s future is bright no matter what, because she has created a safe and kind horse. Schoolmasters are in high demand and limited supply, not a damn thing wrong with allowing him to be the sun, moon, and stars for another person’s universe. Quite kind actually.

      Delete
  4. These crossroads situations are so hard! But you'll know what you really want to do when the time is right and/or the right opportunity presents itself. In the meantime, you can continue to enjoy each other!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know which comment you're referring to as there are two anonymous comments, but I'll address a couple of things. 1.) it's hardly immature to leave an anonymous comment as you left one with a name but no identifying contact information. So, pot meet kettle, please. 2.) I don't have balls, I have ovaries. 3.) Just because schoolmasters are in high demand doesn't mean they're treated properly. For basics, too many people don't pay enough attention to saddle fit/aren't educated on it and just slap on whatever is comfortable for them and/or looks okay and calls it a day. Just because they're in demand doesn't mean it's fair to the horse. I'm sorry you're so offended that I care about animal welfare.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such a hard decision. Rico was 18 when we stopped showing and I was so lucky to have a retirement situation lined up that didn't break the bank. He did teach a couple of my students and friends and that was SO MUCH FUN. And he kept me sane while TC was driving me nuts.

    I think the best part of this is that you can't make a wrong decision (agree that the anonymous comment was not a good take). He could make someone's dream come true if you decided to sell him. Or you can keep him and watch him teach someone the ropes of dressage as a schoolmaster. Or you can continue enjoying him yourself and casually passage around whenever you feel like it. Or you can continue showing for the fun of it and without the pressure of the medal. Excited to see what happens with you guys!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for Porkin' and Choppin' with us!