| A very good boy. |
On Friday I schedule a lesson with local "S" judge, AM.
She has judged me before, in fact she judged my first GP! And much to my surprise recognized me. Whether that is a good or bad thing, I don't know. haha
She is a lovely person and a fantastic teacher. I clicked with her immediately. She has that tough, but clever way of teaching that really got me riding well and thus Hampton started to morph into the horse I know is in there, but I have trouble tapping into. Here are some notes from this lesson.
warmups are "not riding for First level, we are suppling for the Grand Prix." Hampton and I tend to trot around very nicely, very obedient, but it's ok to get a little sloppy, to overbend in the leg yields, in order to release his body. She called Hamp "as obedient as it gets" haha awww.
| Just trotting around all pleasant in the warm up. |
When you leg yield, or anytime you take the hind leg and move it under the body - are you engaging the hind leg? Or are you DISengaging it?
Keep engaging (disengaging?) the hind leg
| Getting chased with the whip. lol! I love it! |
In passage, one step sideways - straight- one step sideways rinse repeat
Hands low. Short reins. (story of my LIFE).
Give a scratch on withers instead of looping my reins in the give part of the half halt
This lesson was fantastic. She called me a good student which is a huge compliment, and was very encouraging about showing the GP. I will definitely be training with her again next Aiken trip.
Lots of great homework to bring back home!
This sounds like a great lesson! It's always so nice when someone clearly reputable has nice things to say about you and your horse!
ReplyDeleteI was given that same scratch the neck advice today actually. It gives just enough without tossing away all the contact, and still lets your pony know you appreciate him.
I love that advice! My horse definitely appreciates a nice scratch on the wither to know he's doing a good job.
ReplyDelete