I asked social media peoples a couple of questions this week.
How do you define good horsemanship?
What makes a good horseperson?
What makes a good rider?
Here are the responses:
"Patience and perseverance; educating oneself in the classical foundations of riding and applying that every time one is in the saddle."
"Empathy and kindness. Being under thousands of them day in and day out has taught me that horses are almost never actually malicious in their intent. They just are trying to explain what is going on in the only ways they are capable of. Trying to be empathetic - to understand what they are trying to say, and to try and relate and care for them in a species appropriate setting - that's all that really matters."
"Someone that can respond to the what they are given on and off the horse with compassion and knowledge"
"compassion, dedication, teachability"
"Conscientious. Puts the animal first, always. Can anticipate what will happen before it does, and therefore choose things that will have positive outcomes to build upon"
"I'll do a word association when I think of good horsemanship these words come to mind:
Care, knowledge, willingness to learn, work ethic, positive attitude, safe are just a few"
"Putting the needs of the horse first, always."
"The horse is first, always. If that's the star that guides you, you can't go wrong. Sometimes it sucks though, because horses can be heartbreakers."
"Passion"
"Good horsemanship is taking care of the horse when you’d rather not. Good horsemanship is paying attention to the animals needs before it really needs it. It’s putting your ego aside and doing what is best for your equine partner. It’s paying attention to herd dynamics, to being aware something is not quite right, to reading expression."
"Puts the physical, emotional, mental well being of the horse first. Makes the effort to acquire and use science based information regarding the above. Knows a well trained and mannered horse has the best chance of a decent life."
"Being an advocate for your horse, being able to help someone less knowledgeable without ridiculing them, and always ready to learn and listen. There is so much to learn, even if you disagree with someone."
"Listening to your horse."
"Achieving mutual respect"
"Listening to the horse above all else. A good rider needs to put hours and hours in the saddle with a solid trainer but cannot ever forget to be a horseman first and foremost."
I agree with all of these as I think most of us will.
but you know what I found interesting?
It was what was NOT said.
No one mentioned "wins all the blue ribbons' or "Only scores above 65%" or "never takes a rail" or "never has refusal' or "never falls off." Nothing about "has multiple national titles' or "competes at the Olympics" or "has the best tack."
And nothing about "rides only in accordance to such and such theory" or "shows FEI" or "has a bunch of clients."
Who takes better care of their horse? The competitive rider in Wellington who stables her horse only at the best barn with the best footing, and supervised turnout with boots and the most expensive tack OR the cowboy who has ranch horses who live out in the field, never wear blankets, work half the day sorting cattle but are in good condition and up to date on vet and farrier work.
My opinion? Both.
My point? Quit your judging on how people ride and care for their horses. And I'm not innocent either. Honestly as long as it's not abusive, I could not care less how others choose to keep and ride their horses. It should be the horsemanship that matters. Not your discipline. Not what training system you choose to follow. (There many, even just within the dressage world.). Not if your horse lives in a stall, or outside, or a combination.
If your horse is fed, has water, and up to date on vet/farrier checks they are more than likely doing just fine and there are PLENTY of horses that don't even get that much. Scores don't matter - they do not reflect much except a 5 min test you rode - blue ribbons don't matter (I have seen plenty of abuse win blue ribbons). How many rails you pulled doesn't matter. The "level" you ride doesn't matter. Honestly step off your high horse. (ha). (That's another can of worms I might open)
What matters is a happy, healthy horse. Do you watch your horse's expression?
Do you listen when they are sore or hurting? do you pain attention to their emotional state as well? How do they interact with their herd? How does change affect them? How do you handle it?
As a rider, are you fair to your horse? I almost wrote "Are you making an attempt to improve?" but then thought, gosh, there it is again. JUDGEMENT. There are plenty of riders who feel no need to improve because their chosen discipline doesn't really require it. For example, weekend trail/pleasure riders. If your only goal is a fun relaxing few hours on the trail, fine! Like I said, just be fair and not abusive and it's all good. I don't care if your spine is properly aligned and the E+MC2 pounds of pressure in your right seatbone aligns with Jupiter. It doesn't matter.
(although I've seen a handful of hilljack trail riders making REAL DUMB decisions and those people I will still judge.)
And here's the other thing, don't judge yourself, either, so harshly. I know it's hard not to. I need to do a post in more detail.
__
Are you a partner and protector for your horse?
That would be how I define horsemanship. A protector. An advocate. A partner (if you ride, drive, or otherwise interact with your horse regularly.
how do you define horsemanship?
Is there a distinction between a horseperson and a "good rider.?"





I guess maybe one difference between the "horseperson" and the "good rider" is how does the whole picture look?
ReplyDeleteAn example might be two Olympic performances - one where the (obviously skilled) rider's partner performs exaggerated movements while thrashing his tail and curled behind the vertical. Not even technically correct according to the rules, but what has often been rewarded in the show ring. The other skilled rider's performance, while less flashy, is absolutely harmonious - a quality hard to quantify - but we know it when we see it.
Love love love love love this post.
ReplyDeleteYes! Happy, healthy horses are the goal. Always.
ReplyDeleteSo many great points!
ReplyDeleteWonderful thoughts. To me, horsepersonship has almost nothing to do with riding. It's about the qualities which make a good human: compassion, thoughtfulness, listening, humility (this is a critical component), patience. And respect for lives, emotions, & personalities which, although not human, are no less valid or nuanced.
ReplyDelete