Monday, February 17, 2020

The Curious (cribbing) Case of a Porkchop

I miss green grass and warm weather.


Hampton picked up cribbing about 4 years ago.

Since then he has been managed with ulcer preventative, the DARE collar and a rather humiliating muzzle. He can eat and drink freely with it, just not crib. When he's not in the muzzle he wears the collar which does a good job of deterring him, but not totally preventing it.

A few weeks ago something weird happened.

He stopped.

Like just. stopped. cribbing.

I was absolutely gobsmacked.

Everything looks like THIS right now


I mean I have tried every ulcer treatment, supplement, vitamin bullshit out there. We all know that curing cribbing is pretty rare.

But there he was. He would eat his grain and after obsessively licking the bucket, he would simply walk away. No cribbing session. Same when I brought him into a stall. (He lives outside 24/7 so is not in a stall often)

Nada.

Nothing changed.

He wasn't sick. I checked his teeth. Nothing seemed amiss.

For a second I thought I had FOUND the cure! By golly!

Then 2 weeks later I caught him standing at the fence. off the wagon. No longer sober.

Damn.

Goddammit

and that's the story of when Hampton tried to be sober and then relapsed.

Cool story, brah.

6 comments:

  1. I am always curious, as someone who has never owned a cribber, why did you want him to not-crib? I understand why you'd want him to stop cribbing (ie fix the root cause), but why do people want to stop just the behavior?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicole -- because he destroys property that is not mine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah that is so sad! Brief excitement crushed. As someone who owns a lifelong cribber, them just magically stopping would be the best thing in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  4. To think if you had found THE CURE you would have been rich reproducing it in other horses!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for Porkin' and Choppin' with us!