Monday, December 30, 2019

A decade seems to have passed

Many thanks to fellow blogger and barn mate Emily at May as Well Event for starting up this fun blog hop! I've loved reading everyone else's. So now you can suffer through mine.

2010
Hampton is just a baby, awkward, green 3-year-old.

April 2010



2011
Hampton's first few shows, jumps and more life experience.

Summer 2011


2012
This year was a big year of change. I get a new job that moves us to KY. Leaving the soul-sucking Indiana town I was living in changed my life for the better, no question. Hampton loves Kentucky right off the bat. Settles in great in his huge field of bluegrass. 

Summer 2012

2013
We start to dabble in Second Level early in the year. And in April, I finally get back in the recognized show ring. And it's Hampton's rated show debut.

2013: I show at the KY horse park for the first time

2014
I get my bronze medal by the skin of my teeth. I realize that you can get your bronze medal and not even be a true Third level pair. And I fire the instructor I had been lessoning with for a couple months. We move barns due to this situation. 

Courtney King Dye clinic.

2015
We continue to show Third Level and slowly improve. But struggle with the changes and uphill balance.



2016
Royale the saddlebred joins the family. I co-own him with Liz for a year or two (she eventually takes over the ride). Hampton starts cribbing later in the year. We continue to show mostly Third Level but also try 4-1 here and there. I change barns in order to have the opportunity for more lessons.



2017
This was one hell of a year. With the exception of a disastrous first show, we end up kicking ass the rest of the year in Third Level, Fourth Level and I get my Silver medal in the fall after our PSG debut. We nearly ribbon at Regionals. I WIN A SADDLE and lessons with an Olympian in a contest. .... but then right before Nationals, Hampton gets a nasty fever and I withdraw. Then my dad dies right before Christmas. It was A YEAR I tell ya.

Third level at Regionals 2017

2018
We concentrate on PSG and 4th level freestyle. We have our ups and downs, but end up pulling it together for an 8th place in the freestyle at Regionals, and 9th at Nationals.


2019
We focus on making the PSG cleaner and working toward I-1. It's been a development year, and I face doubt when I get discouraging judging comments. But we finish the year with a strong showing at I-1. We qualify for an I-1 freestyle!




whew - What a decade!

6 comments:

  1. Man, 2017 is legit the reason I haven't wanted to write one of these. Fuck that year in particular. But, if you can do it, then I can. In other news, it's so amazing how much a move can affect our lives, isn't it??

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a decade! 😁 Looking forward to seeing what 2020 has in store for you and Hamps!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a phenomenal decade together!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such fun to see you and Hampton's progression!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't remember when I started reading your blog, anymore it feels like I have always read it. Thanks for sharing your last decade and reminding me of some of the highlights and also what came before. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry about 2017. We all have those years I guess at some point. But WOW! From a green bean three year old to an I-1 horse?! That's HUGE!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for Porkin' and Choppin' with us!