What would you do with the above horse?
1) Ignore the issue. Hope he doesn't do it again
2) rehab him. He has probably been unfairly treated and abused.
3)
---
I'll gather opinions and post some (authors name won't be attached) in my next blog.
#potstirring
100000% shoot him.
ReplyDeleteWHAT THE F? Personally, I'd euth one of my own animals if they ever remotely did that!
ReplyDeleteare you posting these public? because I'd def put a bullet in its head. Bc no way would I get close enough to that thing to IV something lethal.
ReplyDeleteBut maybe don't put that on your blog because I don't want to be labelled a heartless horse hater.
Bullet - this is not a safe creature to 'rehab,' some has caused this animal either several mental trauma or physical pain. If multiple people cannot stop him, then the safest and kindest thing to is ensure he has a painless death.
ReplyDeleteOh boy. We are definitely missing context of how his daily life is, but based on the fact that he is being repeatedly shanked for no clear reason (that I can see anyway), it probably isn't all that great. I am also assuming he's a stud, and isn't handled other than shows or breeding, which is ridiculous, IMO, but also a somewhat separate topic, lol.
ReplyDeleteWith that said, I would start by treating him like the dangerous animal he clearly is capable of being, and exercise extreme caution when handling him--like more than the common sense caution we give "regular" horses. But, I would give him the benefit of the doubt and attempt rehab -- horses are not generally born this aggressive, it's almost always human-made. So, I think he deserves at least 1 chance at rehab. I also would probably call in a professional, if I could even find one willing to get in the round pen with him.
HOLY F***ING SH*T. That was insane. I'll tell you how they would have done it in the TB industry - ignore it. Many TB studs had a reputation of being really nasty. Dynaformer supposedly bit off a groom's finger and swallowed it. He wore a halter with a built-in stud chain for the duration of his life. Ruhlmann supposedly pinned a groom on the ground and tried to separate his gonads from his body.
ReplyDeleteHere's a fun link https://www.behindthebitblog.com/2009/12/meanest-thoroughbred-stallions-ever.html
So I guess it depends on.... how much is the stallion in question worth???? :O
Ummm....#3 - no hesitation on that one. Yikes!!!
ReplyDeleteEuthanize
ReplyDeleteI'd a euth a dog for that behavior regardless of why. A horse is a lot bigger, so yeah there'd be 1 more vet visit in his future.
ReplyDeleteHoly shit. That was hard to watch. Honestly, my tendency would be to euthanize him. Even assuming there’s a history that explains/ justifies this I don’t know. If he is rehabbed I would definitely geld him and there are very few people that I would trust to deal with this.
ReplyDeleteOh man... that video was incredibly difficult to watch. I'm not sure I can give an educated opinion as this was just a moment in time, but my gut reaction is that this horse needs to be euthanized and I hope the handler was okay. Do you have any background on this video or what happened after?
ReplyDeleteWow. Looks like the handler jerked on his face a few times right before he went ape-shit. He probably has been mistreated AND needs rehab, but...
ReplyDeleteSafer for him and any future handlers to humanely euthanize asap. What would be the point of taking that on as a trainer?
Wonder what happened after they got him away from the camera and back to the barn. I'm sure it wasn't pretty...
Supposedly Dynaformer's nickname was Dynafinger. 🤣
ReplyDeleteEuth. We had a horse at a barn (a gelding) that would try to pull things like this. It was horrifying. He lived a good life, every bit of care you could imagine, but at some point he'd decided that grabbing on to humans and trying to finish them off was an option. Like they left the top of his stall door open once and he got a groom that walked too close. He tried to haul her into his stall, she had to go to ER. He was a grand prix level jumper so he stayed but it was a nightmare. Never. Again.
ReplyDeleteThis is kind of my point. Grand Prix jumper, TB stud with a stud fee of $150k+ per cover, people will put up with a lot with a horse of perceived value. I don't know anything about the Arabian halter horse industry in the Middle East (where it appears this took place) but my guess is, if the horse is valuable, they ignored it.
DeleteIt is terrifying to think what could have happened to push this horse to this level of aggressiveness. I have only seen one other example like this, in the Buck documentary, where an orphan horse attacked someone, (not even nearly as aggressively as this one - both were hard to watch)....that horse had been raised as a "pet" without any correction - so it could be a case of not enough boundaries, but I think it would be too dangerous to try and correct it at this point....
ReplyDeleteEuthanize; I agree with all that people have said above.
ReplyDeleteYeeesh. Wish I could know the back story that led to that behavior! Probably best for everyone to euth.
ReplyDeleteThat is horrifying. I can't wrap my head around how a horse would get to that point, and sadly I suspect he has not been treated well in his life. I am guessing I would euthanize him for everyone's safety including the horse..
ReplyDeleteDefinitely number 3. And honestly, there's a lot of "we don't know how abused he is" talk, but sometimes this can happen from neurological problems too. Safest thing for everyone is to put him down.
ReplyDelete