Monday, November 25, 2019
Jaws results.
That video of the Arabian mauling his handler is awful to watch.
But it seemed like most readers were in agreement to euthanize him (or her, I just assumed it was a stallion but the footage is grainy).
I agree with this. In fact if he were mine he would be dead before leaving the show if I could make that happen.
I'm sure he has probably been mistreated, treated unfairly, even abused. He probably gets little turn out, and lives a life of isolation and frustration. Humans most likely made him this way. And for that, I do feel sorry for the horse.
Can you rehab a horse like this? I'm not sure. It's certainly well beyond my skills and education.
There was a good point made that he was likely a horse of value (as many Arabian halter horses are), and because of his value this behavior would be ignored. He may even produce foals. (my god can you imagine leading this thing to a breeding shed??) There is a certain amount of tolerance for stallions especially. I did visit Three Chimneys 10 years ago when Dynaformer was still alive, and it is true - he lived 24/7 in a stud chain. I could tell just looking at him that he gave zero shits about me or any other human. I stayed a good distance away from his stall. haha. I hear War Emblem is similar.
I just felt this type of behavior though was at a different level. There isn't a huge point here, except it's just sad all around. I don't know the situation leading up to the event, no after. Or if the handler was ok.
But in the end, the horse is a danger to humans and other horses I would guess.
I wouldn't risk it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

So a group of us had a long chat about this, and were freaked TF out. I brought up how it's not uncommon on the Arabian halter circuit for stallions to be "teased" with other stallions, making them puff up and look ready to fight. Unfortunately, any animal can exhibit misplaced aggression in such circumstances. I still wouldn't want to rehab the animal, though.
ReplyDeleteI had to go back and watch the video (been out of the country) but holy fuck that was an aggressive horse. Immediately I felt terrible for the horse because I naturally think something bad had to happen to it to get it to that point, but I agree the horse isn't safe, best to humanely euthanize it and also anyone that created it.
ReplyDeleteAgree. Also think it could be neurological. And assuming its job is breeding (which, I'm not sure?) why would you want more of them on this earth?
ReplyDelete