Thursday, July 25, 2019

Into the hollers

Soooo we are not at a horse show I see.

The barn gals loaded up last week for an adventure camping at Mammoth Cave in the boondocks of Kentucky.

We pulled in - 3 rigs, 6 horses, 4 dogs and  7 ladies (LOL ladies. that we are not) - to a lovely campground featuring a little store, sturdy stalls, plenty of shade and well groomed trails.

The guy who greeted us was named Bubba. And we were literally in the midst of hollers. The full KY experience, people.



Little creek crossing


And somehow we totally lucked out and it did not rain on us while we rode. It rained overnight, the leftovers of the hurricane, but we had great weather otherwise!

We went on a long ride Tuesday. I think we were on for about 3 hours and covered about 7 miles give or take. The trails were so well kept. There were some rocky parts which were a little hard on the barefoot horses, but everyone did ok and we only walked.

My dressage horse looking like a drunk mule.

Royale behind us being a perfect trail pony!


Once we got back and made sure the horses were hosed off and fed, we walked over to the campsites and ate dinner and drank too much. As one does. I slept in the tent all night. It's probably been 10 years since I have slept on the ground like that. Let's be real, camping pads do jack shit. I was feeling it in the morning but it's all good. I wasn't eaten by a bear so I consider that a success.

campsites


The second day we went for a shorter ride, covering maybe 5 miles.

All of the horses were foot perfect. We had 4 OTTBs, Hampton and a saddlebred - one you may know - Mr. Royale! - along. Quite the crew! Hampton at one point decided to kick the shit out of Royale and nailed him right in the chest but thankfully he was fine. I was mostly happy he did not get Liz because he fired like he meant it and it came out of nowhere. Or, at least I missed the body language that led up to that.

Hamp and Royale discuss world issues

Easy trails


But other than Hamp's murder attempt, all the ponies were just super. Long, slow walks along trails with terrain are one of the best things you can do for your horse. Trail riding is so great for mind, body and soul. I mean, maybe not for my butt bones, but still.

But now it's back to dressage land for a bit! Mammoth Cave is a great option for trail riders if you are ever in the area. Pretty sure we will be back!

A quiet moment with a porkchop

3 comments:

  1. I want in next year! Let's add a draftie and a QH to the mix! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that they have sturdy stalls! That's always my biggest concern taking my non-endurance horses places. Lol!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We also sleep on the ground while camping because camping pads don't do anything and it's one more thing to pack, it's probably also why I don't camp much anymore lol well that and horses. I've always wanted to go horse camping, looks like loads of fun!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for Porkin' and Choppin' with us!